PDA

View Full Version : Colt manufacture 2 band musket

William Schoenfeld, 1386
10-12-2015, 11:33 AM
Is the Colt musket that was made in the 1990s on the approved arms list? I believe this was made by the Colt manufacturing company.
Thanks

Frog
10-12-2015, 01:13 PM
Dutch, if it is the Colt Signature Series it was sold by Chattahoochee BPS Co. and it is on the approved list. Page 2 of rifle muskets list.

US Rifle Musket Special Model 1861, .58 caliber

Makers Barrels
1) Springfield Firearms Corporation 1) Bill Large
2) Chattahoochee BPS Co. (Colt Signature 2) Whitacre’s Machine Shop (only Series) (no identifying marks) fits Chattahoochee BPS Co.
3) Chattahoochee BPS Co. (Amoskeag) (no ID) replicas)
4) Chattahoochee BPS Co. (LG&Y) (no ID) 3) Larry Romano Rifle Co. (only
fits Chattahoochee BPS Co.
replicas)

US Rifle Musket Special Model 1861, shortened (“Artillery Model”), .58 caliber

Makers Barrels
1) Chattahoochee BPS Co. (Colt Signature 1) Any barrel approved for the US
Series) (no identifying marks) Special Model 1861 Rifle
2) Chattahoochee BPS Co. (Amoskeag) (no ID) Musket may be altered to the
proper configuration for this
3) Chattahoochee BPS Co. (LG&Y) (no ID) arm.

William Schoenfeld, 1386
10-12-2015, 03:17 PM
Frog this is not the Chattahoochee model. It was the musket that was made by Colt. I think they had a short run on them and I think they were approved but I cannot find them on the approved list.

William H. Shuey
10-12-2015, 06:10 PM
A lot of those Chattahoochie 2 band barrels were threaded too deeply, leaving exposed threads above the breech plug. They were given to cook offs from hot residue getting caught in the threads and to pulling cleaning patches off the cleaning rod making going fishing for the patch necessary.

Ask me how I know!!
Bill Shuey
2558V

R. McAuley 3014V
10-13-2015, 11:36 PM
I guess in this quest to have replicas "defarbed" (all modern marks removed), it was bound to happen that when you finally discover the cause of "cook-offs" with a particular musket, there are no identifying marks on the barrel to indicate who made it. With Colt Blackpowder Division (actually Anthony Imperato) and Chattahoochee BPS Co. now defunct, it looks pretty much like correcting it will be out of your own pocket.

The Colt Signature Series Special Model was produced as a standard 3-band musket (like the one I bought), and also a "One of a Thousand" version with its special "wooden crate" box that retailed for $2,195. Colt may have produced an "artillery" model, sold with a socket bayonet, but Chattahoochee BPS Co. bought some Colt Signature Series Special Models with smoothbore barrels that were rifled by the different gun-makers (which are those listed on the approved list). The barrels that have polished grooves are probably the ones rifled by Romano (his trademark).

http://www.n-ssa.net/vbforum/showthread.php/3159-Colt-Signature-Series

Artillery Model (Dated 1861, serial number prefixed "A") below:

http://archives.collectorsfirearms.com/?category=911&subcategory=1041&category=&product=c2818