PDA

View Full Version : Hoyt Barrel - 1853 Enfield

terrydull
10-09-2015, 05:00 PM
I purchased a used 1853 Enfield and came with a Hoyt barrel. the guy I bought it from had no details on the barrel, he wasn't ever sure of the actual bore measurement.

Is there any way to find out the details of this barrel ... such as twist rate and if it was manufactured with PDR (progressive depth rifling)?

Thanks!
Terry

Dan Mastin
10-09-2015, 07:06 PM
My Mississippi Hoyt barrel has the information stamped into underside the barrel . Have you removed the barrel to see if yours is stamped?

Dan Mastin
11th Indiana

MR. GADGET
10-09-2015, 09:29 PM
Is this by chance a JRA?

is it a hoyt barrel or hoyt lined, maybe a JRA barrel that hoyt cut the rifling?(euro arms)

terrydull
10-11-2015, 12:38 PM
Is this by chance a JRA?

is it a hoyt barrel or hoyt lined, maybe a JRA barrel that hoyt cut the rifling?(euro arms)

JRA??

It is a new barrel because the tang is about 1/4" short leaving a gap between the end of the tang and the stock ... also there are no markings visible on the barrel ... I'll remove the barrel and check for markings hidden by the stock

thanks!

terrydull
10-12-2015, 03:40 PM
barrel.jpg

Markings hidden by stock ... I'm guessing 1" to 60" Twist ... Progressive depth rifling??

MR. GADGET
10-12-2015, 08:44 PM
JRA??
thanks!

When JRA were making there guns they got barrel blanks with kits so they could have hoyt rifle the blanks they got with smooth bores from euro arms.

John Holland
10-12-2015, 10:51 PM
The JRA barrels from Euroarms were just blanks that were bored to 0.500" bore diameter. They were not part of a kit. The barrels were also machine gun grade steel, so they will have a long life span with black powder shooting.

terrydull
10-13-2015, 09:34 AM
Does anyone know how I can get ahold of Bob Hoyt to ask him if he keeps any records on the barrels he makes? Maybe this is the 143th .577 barrel he made??? I don't know. Just a guess.

I would like to know if he produced them with Progressive Depth Rifling .. as Whitacre does.

Thanks,
Terry

Lou Lou Lou
10-13-2015, 10:10 AM
Just the 147th barrel, most likely.

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
10-13-2015, 10:18 AM
[QUOTE=terrydull;50258]Does anyone know how I can get ahold of Bob Hoyt to ask him if he keeps any records on the barrels he makes? Maybe this is the 143th .577 barrel he made??? I don't know. Just a guess.

I would like to know if he produced them with Progressive Depth Rifling .. as Whitacre does.

Thanks,
Terry[/QUO

Call him. A simple Google search should give you his number.

jonk
10-13-2015, 10:47 AM
If you do call Bobby, he's in the middle of moving his shop and may not be available until November as per his voicemail.
Robert Hoyt at the Freischutz Shop, 700 Fairfield Station Rd., Fairfield, Pa. 17320. His phone # 717-642-6696 He doesn't have a website or email.

As for the barrel, he may or may not know. One thing I CAN tell you... don't take what's stamped on it as gospel. As good as he is, his tooling is prone to wear just like anyone else's. I have a barrel stamped .576 that really measures .579. A plug gauge is your friend. The rate of twist should be as stamped.

Progressive depth or not? Well if he DOESN'T know it should be easy enough to determine if you pull the breech plug and have a set of calipers. I agree though, ask him first.

terrydull
10-13-2015, 11:23 AM
Thanks .... this is from 2011 ...

Freischutz Shop, 700 Fairfield Station Rd., Fairfield, Pa. 17320. His phone # 717-642-6696

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
10-13-2015, 11:57 AM
Pretty much matches Jon's post...........................

Tom Magno, 9269V
10-13-2015, 12:50 PM
It would be an interesting study of the top 10 highest scoring musket shooters (national record holders) what rifle-musket they used, and the barrel rifling type/manufacturer/twist rate and their load recipes. My non-scientific theory would be that there is probably a good mix of original standard, original PDR, repro with PDR, and repro standard rifling types. If there turns out to be a higher percentage of record holders with one type or the other, wouldn't that make for some really interesting campfire discussion!

terrydull
10-13-2015, 01:30 PM
It would be an interesting study of the top 10 highest scoring musket shooters (national record holders) what rifle-musket they used, and the barrel rifling type/manufacturer/twist rate and their load recipes. My non-scientific theory would be that there is probably a good mix of original standard, original PDR, repro with PDR, and repro standard rifling types. If there turns out to be a higher percentage of record holders with one type or the other, wouldn't that make for some really interesting campfire discussion!

I know the 110th Ohio ... always a top contender for the musket team ... uses M1841 Mississippi's ... mostly originals. I would also guess that they are .54 cal. Another factor is that they practice as a team about once a week.

As for my situation, I just want to know what I have. Hoyt Barrels are looked upon as a top notch replacement or upgrade. I know Whitacre advertises PDR for his barrels ... I'm just trying to find out if the same is true for Hoyt's barrels ... called him twice today ... no answer ... I'll keep trying ;)

hobbler
10-15-2015, 07:08 PM
Hoyt makes barrels with and barrels without progressive depth rifling.
Would he have put progressive depth in a '53...
Yeah, if he was asked to.