PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use the new Lyman Blue-Grey Target Bullet?

BTaylor73
06-01-2008, 03:38 PM
Lyman cataloge shows that they have a new 405 grain minie #578675
"A newly designed target bullet popular for North-South Skirmish target matches" It looks like a combination bwtween the small 315 grain wad-cutter and the New Style minie.

Has anyone tried this new bullet?

Link:
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/index.htm

J Weber 4114V
06-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Basically a knock off of the RCBS Hodgen minne.Typical Lyman iron mold with the base cavity core pin needed to be inserted and removed each cycle.
Mine does cast a small base cavity with REAL thick skirt.A buddy wanted to try this mold without much luck so he gave it back to me
It is about 1/2 price of the RCBS one though
BTW I have not shot it

Edwin Flint, 8427
06-01-2008, 10:51 PM
I have had the same luck with mine. I think that they did not pick up the later modification of the base plug that made the longer cavity and thiner skirt. Could not get it to group with out a heavy charge and still not good.

John Bly
06-03-2008, 12:24 PM
I bought one of those moulds for my son's 1861 artillary model with a Whitacre barrel. I had to get the lead quite hot to get good bullets and the skirt was thick. After the first casting session, I modified the base plug by extending the taper .025" which made the bullet .025" longer. The large grease groove was too deep which made getting the skirt to fill out well a problem. I bored out the section in the mould to reduce the depth of the groove by an amount I don't remember.
The second casting session went much better with well filled out bullets that now weigh 412 grains. It seems to work better with each casting session as it gets cured and broken in. I still need to have the lead quite hot - 850 deg to get those 2 small grooves to fill out properly.
With 42 gr of 3F Swiss it shoots tight groups and I think it could be shot all day as the fouling is so slight. Lessening the depth of the grease groove apparently did not reduce it effectiveness. I'm satisfied with the bullet with the modifications I made to it.
This was my son's first Nat'l and he was the top shooter on our "C" team shooting that bullet.