PDA

View Full Version : Sharps Bullets, Tubes/Cases

Michael Bodner
09-24-2015, 07:30 AM
Who can educate me about Sharps (1859 Pedersoli) ammunition?

Specifically, I have a new member and he is thinking Brass cases. I know about Charlie's tubes, but I need to work this from both ends.

Also, I understand that the bullet is different for brass verses paper tubes.

Thanks in advance!!

-Mike

Fred Jr
09-24-2015, 07:53 AM
I have no experience with the brass tubes but I can't imagine that they would be easy to use for team matches. They would have to be removed with some kind of a tool and that would take time. Now Charlie's tubes are a pain-in -the ass to make but they work extremely well. I've been using a Sharps for around 40 years and it has never shot as well as it does with these tubes. The ring tail bullet is probably the way to go. Just my humble opinion!

Fred

John Bly
09-24-2015, 08:03 AM
I don't own a Sharps and have never shot one but it seems to me that the most attractive thing about one is the fact that you never have anything to unload after firing, just keep loading and shooting. Brass tubes don't make sense to me in this regard. I hear a lot of good things about Charlie Hahn's tubes and it seems that would be a good place to start. The learning curve is probably less than rolling your own combustible paper cartridges.

Greg Ogdan 110th OVI
09-24-2015, 08:37 AM
I'm not aware of any brass cartridge that is available for the Sharps. You might do a search for "Selltube" though and come up with something.

Michael Bodner
09-24-2015, 10:31 AM
Greg,

Check out: http://www.buffaloarms.com/Percussion_Sharps_Brass_it-164313.aspx?TERM=sharps

terrydull
09-24-2015, 11:54 AM
Greg,

Check out: http://www.buffaloarms.com/Percussion_Sharps_Brass_it-164313.aspx?TERM=sharps

Boy ... wouldn't that make life EZ :) .... looks like they are made EXCLUSIVELY for the Pedersoli's tho ... including the Pedersoli Mold.

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
09-24-2015, 12:04 PM
..and not approved for use in N-SSA matches.

Michael Bodner
09-24-2015, 12:38 PM
..and not approved for use in N-SSA matches.

And THAT would be the only answer that counts...

Thanks !! Phil

terrydull
09-24-2015, 01:51 PM
Have you tried these ....

http://www.yoresupply.com/

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
09-24-2015, 01:59 PM
Sure. You want to buy some. I will make you a deal

Michael Bodner
09-24-2015, 02:31 PM
Phil,

How much for how many tubes?

terrydull
09-24-2015, 02:43 PM
Sure. You want to buy some. I will make you a deal

Ummm ... why do I think they don't work ... I feel like I'm being offered to buy land in Florida ... swampland :)

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
09-24-2015, 02:56 PM
Phil,

How much for how many tubes?

Check your PM.

jonk
09-24-2015, 03:47 PM
The yore tubes and similar ideas that allow you to fill the chamber with loose powder DO work...I never got the accuracy with that approach that I do with tubes, either Charlies or homemade though. I know a few guys that use them though, and it's always worth trying.

Fred Jr
09-24-2015, 05:22 PM
I had the same experience with the loose power tubes. Used home made tubes for years. Went to the loose powder tubes and never had the accuracy again. Went to Charlie tubes a couple years ago and it is the best my sharps has ever shot. I don't shoot it as well but that's a whole other story!

Fred

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
09-24-2015, 05:57 PM
I agree about the Hahn or hand rolled tubes. The reusable ones always seemed awkward and at times a bit messy for me.

SHARPS4953
09-24-2015, 09:24 PM
Who can educate me about Sharps (1859 Pedersoli) ammunition?

Specifically, I have a new member and he is thinking Brass cases. I know about Charlie's tubes, but I need to work this from both ends.

Also, I understand that the bullet is different for brass verses paper tubes.

Thanks in advance!!

-Mike

Ive used all the mentioned loading methods in this reply. Hahn tubes are by far the most accurate to shoot and putting them together passes the time durring the winter months. The brass tubes are fine to use at the range as long as you have a ramrod to push them out. I found those yore tubes are too long for me to fit in a cartridge box and can be a bit of a pain at the line. Ive also used curling paper, which is by far the easiest to make but again if you want accuracy go with Charlies tubes.

Charlie does this mean ill get a discount on my next order...LOL

Scott
1st Maine

Michael Bodner
09-25-2015, 08:03 AM
More learning....

Understanding that the Sharps BRASS tubes need to get pushed out from the front - Are there any OTHER type of plastic tube (like a Smith tube) that could be used (but NOT for N-SSA)? My new member is also a shooter, so if there is another way for him to make and shoot the Sharps, he would be interested...

Also, how MUCH $$ are the Charlie Hahn cardboard tubes??

Thanks everyone!!

-Mike

terrydull
09-25-2015, 08:25 AM
More learning....

Understanding that the Sharps BRASS tubes need to get pushed out from the front - Are there any OTHER type of plastic tube (like a Smith tube) that could be used (but NOT for N-SSA)? My new member is also a shooter, so if there is another way for him to make and shoot the Sharps, he would be interested...

Also, how MUCH $$ are the Charlie Hahn cardboard tubes??

Thanks everyone!!

-Mike

Charlie has a web site ... you can get a lot of info there ... it is also a good place to contact him, but he is often busy and slow to respond.

http://hahnmachineworks.com/

There are also a few good you tube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e8-ii9slBU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cergHhDbQk

Michael Bodner
09-25-2015, 08:54 AM
Thanks Terry. But Charlie does not seem to have posted prices on his website. Note that I can find any, that is...

We'll watch the videos!!

Jim_Burgess_2078V
09-25-2015, 12:58 PM
I have been shooting a Shiloh Sharps since the late 1970s using loose powder (50g FFg) and the Lyman ringtail bullet. My cartridge is a .45 caliber, 3.5 inch long, soft vinyl tube (yellow) that holds the ringtail portion of the bullet and serves as a bullet seater. The bullet is sized to my chamber's diameter. I'm still using the same tubes I started with but they are getting a little stiff in old age and do not release the bullet in the chamber as easily as when they were new but I can still get them to work adequately enough. Still beats rolling paper. Accuracy has never been a problem. The carbine still shoots better than I do. However, I will acknowledge that a paper cartridge probably contributes to better ignition (and accuracy) with currently available caps as it puts the powder charge in closer proximity to the vent. I'm not sure what I will do when my supply of the old, hot, 6-wing CCI caps runs out.

Jim Burgess, 15th CVI