PDA

View Full Version : 1859 Pedersoli Sharps

Michael Bodner
09-21-2015, 08:24 AM
Make me smart ASAP: Give me any feedback on the 1859 Pedersoli Sharps. I new team member found one in a local pawn shop for $699 in new condition. Any issues/concerns that we need to know before he goes and buys it? I know he'll need the O-Ring mod (how much is that?) Etc, Etc...

Thanks!!

-Mike

Greg Ogdan 110th OVI
09-21-2015, 09:15 AM
Boots,

Not nearly as nicely finished internally as the Shiloh, but should shoot well. Yes, do the O-ring. Should shoot quite well. I have noticed on my Pedersoli Sharps Infantry that the bore is tighter than the Shiloh, but groove diameter is the same. Everyone has their pet load, but here is what works for me. 585 gr. ringtail bullet cast in hard lead, 50 gr. of FFg Goex, dip lube in MCM or GBF. I would spend the money.

Greg

Michael Bodner
09-21-2015, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the info Greg. How much does the O-ring conversion/parts cost (ball-park)?

RaiderANV
09-21-2015, 10:55 AM
Contact Charloe Hahn of the 13th Confederate. .....he's one of the masters of Sharps and reworking them.

Michael Bodner
09-21-2015, 11:11 AM
Already did - Waiting for an answer on costs. Just hoping somebody else can answer it first....

BTW: What can folks tell me about using a brass cartridge, verses the paper cartridge for this gun?

Again, I'm completely ignorant here, so all answers are helpful!

-Mike

Eggman
09-21-2015, 12:08 PM
Make me smart ASAP
-Mike

My gosh Boots!!! What in the name of mission impossible are you asking here!!!!!!!

Lou Lou Lou
09-21-2015, 12:50 PM
If it is a paper cartridge gun, you cant use a brass cartridge and vice versa. Firing pin versus nipple. But I could be wrong.

Charlie Hahn
09-21-2015, 01:02 PM
I charge $275 to do the breech work. As for the gun, take a steel rule with you and slide into the breech to see if the chamber was correctly reamed by Pedersoli. Depending on the year there are several that have a square shoulder st the chamber to barrel transition, I fix that as part of the work I do.

The gun will also have a fly on the tumbler or should you can check this by going to full cock and see if it slips over half cock on the stroke.

Then check the bore and see if it have square groves or radiuses.

They are very good guns, hard barrel with last a long time in our game.

Charlie

Michael Bodner
09-21-2015, 01:38 PM
Thanks Charlie! You can ignore the email I sent you via your webpage asking the same question.

-Mike

Muley Gil
09-22-2015, 06:42 AM
"... I'm completely ignorant here..."

Bite tongue, bite tongue, bite tongue!