PDA

View Full Version : what size hole in the nipple for the Single shot Smoothbore pistol?

MR. GADGET
09-20-2015, 07:43 PM
What size hole for the nipple for the SB pistol.
I have one I can not get to go off. The hole is smaller than any pin or nipple pick I have.

MR. GADGET
09-21-2015, 01:04 PM
No one?

I guess I will just start dripping it out to the point I get it to fire and fire every time.
Just not getting enough past that small hole.

Mike McDaniel
09-21-2015, 01:18 PM
Is this one of the new Pedersoli Harpers Ferry pistols?

MR. GADGET
09-21-2015, 02:44 PM
Yes sir

Can not get the two I own to shoot out of the box.
From the looks they drilled the hole in the nipple too small.

Mike McDaniel
09-21-2015, 03:09 PM
Lovely. Have you contacted Dixie?

MR. GADGET
09-21-2015, 03:10 PM
Lovely. Have you contacted Dixie?

Stated to email DP as they will only have the same parts.

Jim Wimbish, 10395
09-21-2015, 03:27 PM
I checked an original Springfield 58 caliber pistol carbine with the Maynard primer. The nipple in this pistol looks like the original nipples that I have seen in muskets. The bottom is open and the flash channel pinches down. I would say that you could easily open it up to 40 thousandths for starters and go up from there as necessary. I use a numbered bit set for this kind of work.

MR. GADGET
09-21-2015, 03:32 PM
That was the plan.
It is coned from the top being open and the botom flat with a very small hole.
Was going to put it in the drill press and open it some and maybe add a cone to the bottom a little.

efritz
09-21-2015, 04:42 PM
Mr. gadget.
I've had mine out a couple of times. The first, every round went off without a problem. Recently again went out and started to have the problem. I have a sneaky suspicion that not all or enough of the powder is getting down into that cavity where the nipple channel enters the barrel. I've been using 1 1/2 Swiss. I say this because after some futile attempts to clean out the channel even pulling the nipple and putting some powder in the hole and replacing the nipple it still didn't go off. Then by happen stance I tapped the butt on the table. Next cap and all succeeding rounds went off. All I know is it worked. I'll tell you one thing. I found out if I was squeezing the trigger or not. Dry firing or snapping caps is one thing. Having a loaded gun and it not going off when you pull the trigger is another.

MR. GADGET
09-21-2015, 05:37 PM
I pulled the nipple and added 3f powder. Install nipple and snapped 5 caps, the 6 set it off.
mind you no powder in barrel.

Think it has to do with the cone or hole size. Dont know the threads and of a nipple from a R&S or Remington will fit.

MR. GADGET
10-06-2015, 05:04 PM
after a little more work I found something that may work for this application.
I found some old knight musket nipples that are threaded for one quarter 28 threads.
the fit is very good and on one of my guns it lined up great.
looks like I should be able to use wingless caps and it will be fine maybe a little hotter and better ignition then that of the pistol caps.

Charlie Hahn
10-07-2015, 12:22 PM
#65 drill, (.035 inch) Is the low side of okay.

Charlie Hahn