PDA

View Full Version : Impossible to get clover-leaf groups with stock reproduction revolvers?

Maillemaker
09-08-2015, 10:37 AM
I now have 6 black powder revolvers, 2 brass-framed 1851 "Navy" Piettas which are now wall decorations, a Pietta 1860 Army, a Pietta 1858 Remington, a Uberti Walker, and a Uberti 1858 Remington.

Now I never did real load workups with the 1851s before they became wall decorations. But with none of these reproductions, in spite of careful load workups and bench shooting, have I ever made a clover-leaf group with all holes touching like you see with the custom-tuned guns from Tri-L, etc.

I typically shoot using round ball, 3F Goex powder, and cream of wheat filler to bring the ball flush with the cylinder face, followed by lube over the balls. Recently I have started putting a was made of gasket material between the powder and the cream of wheat filler. I don't think this accomplishes anything. I thought it would provide more consistent ignition with less risk of diluting the charge with COW.

Has anyone gotten one of these reproductions to shoot clover-leaf groups as a stock gun? Or is the answer simply that one must spend the $300 or so to make them match-grade guns?

Who are the go-to people these days that are still in business that make target-grade guns?

Steve

Mike McDaniel
09-08-2015, 11:08 AM
Pedersoli, or the Pietta "Shooter's Model" with a trigger job. Were I coming into this cold, I'd seriously consider Charlie Hahn.

The ugly truth is that the inexpensive repro revolvers are made to a price point that doesn't allow precise workmanship. And there's no cheap way to fix that.

P.Altland
09-08-2015, 11:33 AM
Depends on what you mean by stock. If stock is take it out of the box at the range then no. The chambers are undersized for the groove diameter and there is no forcing cone.
I have a "stock barreled" Pietta Remington with just a forcing cone and chambers opened up that has given me 97s at 25. At 50 forget it, the twist is way to slow. Uberti's however come with a 1:18 which is what people like HP, Charlie and Pedersoli are using. (Unless you get Charlie's Gain Twist barrel).
Don't be afraid to experiment with 12-13 grains of 4f and hard lead balls. You might be surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonk
09-08-2015, 12:41 PM
Second the guy who said don't be afraid to experiment with lighter loads. My gun likes 10 gr of 3f Goex, 1.5 cc of cornmeal, and a soft lead .454 ball. Sounds like a cork gun going off.

It is a spanish repro, now out of business. Won't shoot a cloverleaf group, I agree... but from a bench it will shoot an honest 1" group that if you do your part, should break pretty much whatever you point it at.