PDA

View Full Version : Limits of 44 cal cap and ball revolvers

bigdanhess90
09-07-2015, 09:12 PM
Does anyone know how much powder can be fired safely through a BP revolver that we typically shoot in the N/SSA? The reason I ask is because Maryland has (I believe) rewritten their requirements for hunting with a muzzleloader. Both muzzleloading rifles and handguns must be at least 40 cal, and be loaded with at least 60 grains and 40 grains of black powder respectively. I believe the typical revolvers used like the Remington, colt army and Rogers and Spencer have around a maximum chamber capacity of around 40 grains, but the question is is it safe to use that much? The modern Ruger and the walkers and dragoon revolvers are both able to pack more and fire it safely. I'm not asking about the ruger, walker, and dragoon.

P.Altland
09-07-2015, 10:37 PM
Uberti lists a maximum charge of 30 gr. for their Remington with round ball, 25 gr. with conical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FirinFlatTop
09-08-2015, 06:44 AM
you are not realty loading a revolver from the muzzle, had the same problem in Virginia. Might want to look into the regulations better.

Just my thoughts, I might be way off.

P.Altland
09-08-2015, 07:00 AM
Revolvers are considered to be loaded from the muzzle. Even if you remove the cylinder, you are still loading from the front (muzzle) not the back (breech).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maillemaker
09-08-2015, 10:05 AM
If I was going to hunt with a black powder revolver, it would have to be the Colt Walker. The story is that with 60 grains of powder it was the most powerful handgun until the advent of the .357 Magnum.

Steve

bigdanhess90
09-08-2015, 10:22 AM
Maryland does mention that to be considered a muzzleloader the gun must be loaded through the muzzle end OR in the case of a revolver, through the front of the cylinder. One of the main reasons I asked. So that question is answered. Only the walker and dragoon are capable of holding 40 or more, as well as Rugers New Army modern BP revolver. Thank you all for your knowledge

jonk
09-11-2015, 01:07 PM
Well, 30 gr of 3f is what will fit in mine with enough room to seat the ball and a little grease. That is by no means the most accurate load; that has to be taken into account. Maybe you can, maybe you can't fit enough powder in, but 40 gr will, even if you get it in, probably not hit squat. I agree, if you're looking to do this, look at a Walker or Dragoon or Ruger that can handle that powder without forcing it in, and still be accurate. Even then, be respectful of what you have... if you want to hunt deer with it or something, I'd limit the shot to under 25 yards. Think bow range, and only with a good broadside presentation.