PDA

View Full Version : Starr Carbine

hwaugh
08-13-2015, 06:26 PM
Does anyone have any experience shooting a Starr? I would be interested in the pros and cons of this carbine. Thanks in advance.

Harry Waugh - 3731 - 8th Texas Cav.

ms3635v
08-13-2015, 06:57 PM
Harry, a team mate is shooting a Starr. He is using a bullet that Rapine had produced years ago. It looks very similar to the Sharps Christmas tree bullet. He is using Charlie Hahn's short cardboard tube (the bullet has the tie ring). This combination is working well for him.

Dave Fox
08-15-2015, 07:47 PM
you might purchase Peter Schiffers's "Civil War Carbines, Myth vs. Reality" off Amazon. I'm not always comfortable with his methodology, but he has trigger experience.

Lou Lou Lou
08-15-2015, 09:28 PM
Had a teammate who shot one very well.

DOUGLAS SMITH
05-28-2016, 01:27 PM
YES, at reenactments with Just Powder and Cap

Jim Brady Knap's Battery
05-28-2016, 01:30 PM
Ask PJ he loves them.

Jim Brady
2249V
Knap's Battery

RaiderANV
05-28-2016, 01:36 PM
I've already been beat to the answer.....with powder and caps they should be safe. If you want to live fire then.......well.......buy a Maynard. 

ok.......ok.......I'll admit they make a fine 'mater stake.......

Kenneth L. Walters
06-04-2016, 12:37 PM
Does anyone have any experience shooting a Starr? I would be interested in the pros and cons of this carbine. Thanks in advance.

Harry Waugh - 3731 - 8th Texas Cav.

The 2016 Winter edition, second from their last, has an article about this.

Dave Fox
06-17-2016, 05:00 PM
In my golden years, I've gathered about me several Union issue carbines and have enjoyed shooting them informally. Acquired a moderately worn Starr last Spring. Showed campaign use...sling-swivel marring of stock and general exterior handling wear. Key in the selection process for me was that the delicate details of the face of the breech block and bore were sharp and the block itself tight. Found a Rapine mould for my .56 Burnside works well. Combustible paper cartridges tailored to the generous Starr chamber seem to eliminate the wartime woes encountered using undersized Sharps ammunition. I use 40 grains of FFFg with Cream of Wheat filler. The carbine is sure-fire, gas leakage inconsequential, and accuracy satisfactory.

Kenneth L. Walters
06-17-2016, 05:30 PM
How did you make the paper cartridges?

ms3635v
06-17-2016, 07:03 PM
You can buy Charlie Hahn/s cardboard tubes, they work very well.

Dave Fox
06-21-2016, 03:41 PM
There are websites devoted to combustable paper cartridge making. Dixie Gun Works sells sheets of combustable paper. Make a forming rod of proper size for the carbine chamber (turning down a dowel rod woeks for me). Glue the paper into a tube, remove from dowel. Put glue around the lip just inside of one of the paper tube's ends. Using a somewhat smaller rod, insert a paper cap through the paper tube and afix it with the glue. pour in powder charge, filler as needed, seat the lubed bullet, using a little glue to afix it. Enjoyable occupation while watching "NCIS" reruns.