PDA

View Full Version : Dry firing a revolver by the cylinder?

Naphtali
08-11-2015, 11:42 PM
What is a method to fire Remington cap lock revolvers by the cylinder without ruining nipples? Dry firing a single chamber I think I can do. But more than one chamber - that is, dry firing the revolver as a repeater? I thought about using spent caps to cover the nipples, but pre-battered caps allow my nipples to get battered. I suspect it's because spent caps have neither the thickness of primed ones or the nearly instantaneous back thrust of the chamber sending a ball downrange. So I'm back to: How is drying by the cylinder achieved harmlessly?

Michael Bodner
08-12-2015, 06:52 AM
Simple. Remove the nipples...

bobanderson
08-12-2015, 07:56 AM
Removing the nipples allows the hammer to bottom out in the frame, eventually causing excessive wear and premature failure.

I cut a piece of 1/4" nylon tubing and lay it in the channel between the hammer and the frame. If you get it the right size, you can still cock the hammer and rotate the cylinder just like if it was loaded.

While I do like dry firing practice, the Italian repros are not made with high quality steels and you'll just wear them out sooner. A great pistol shot on my team suggested using a single action 22 pistol to get your practice time in.

Chris Sweeney
08-12-2015, 09:22 AM
I bought a battered brass frame replica for cheap, and filled the chambers with lead to add a little exercise factor. Its sole purpose is dryfire

bob2ovi
08-12-2015, 09:41 AM
I have in the past cut a piece of leather for a snug fit between the frame, and hammer.... Works great

Rob FreemanWBR
08-12-2015, 04:25 PM
A few years back I heard that a sutler was selling snapping devices, that a friend showed me, but I had no luck in finding the vendor...

So I fashioned one (a squat "T") using a 1x1x1/2 piece from one of the old white, plastic/nylon front sight protectors.

With a band saw, and dremmel tool I fashioned a "T" or "nipple protector" that simply drops in front of a cocked revolver hammer.

The widget does not alter or interfere with the sight picture when aiming. It was cheap (free), durable, lightweight...

I can try to send a photo if so desired. They work great in the world's finest cap & ball revolvers - Rogers & Spencers, and will work in others as well to include Remington's.

Hope this helps!

Naphtali
08-12-2015, 06:48 PM
Yes, please. While you may choose to post photographs on this thread, I will PM you with my email address also.
A few years back I heard that a sutler was selling snapping devices, that a friend showed me, but I had no luck in finding the vendor...

So I fashioned one (a squat "T") using a 1x1x1/2 piece from one of the old white, plastic/nylon front sight protectors.

With a band saw, and dremmel tool I fashioned a "T" or "nipple protector" that simply drops in front of a cocked revolver hammer.

The widget does not alter or interfere with the sight picture when aiming. It was cheap (free), durable, lightweight...

I can try to send a photo if so desired. They work great in the world's finest cap & ball revolvers - Rogers & Spencers, and will work in others as well to include Remington's.

Hope this helps!

Curt
08-12-2015, 08:15 PM
Hallo!

I never tried it for Remington's, but...

If you can find the right diameter vinyl tubing in the aquarium section of pet stores or department stores....simply cut off a number of appropriate length like cutting pepperoni.

Curt

Rob FreemanWBR
08-14-2015, 04:04 PM
As requested (I hope this works...) photos of my Dry Firing Device ("T") are provided.

Pictures are worth a thousand words, so I'll let them try to "speak" for themselves.

I wrap some orange electrical tape on mine so if I drop it outside, in the grass, it is easily recognized.