PDA

View Full Version : Euroarms JP Murray Carbine

Chapman's Battery
05-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Does anyone have an opinion on shooting this carbine as far as reliability? Thanks Rick

dstrong
05-27-2008, 08:47 PM
Rick, I have owned one for about 5 years and have had no problems. With no modifications I pretty much hit what I aim at (operator errors not withstanding). Enjoy yours, they are handy little guns and fun to shoot.

threepdr
05-28-2008, 02:56 PM
Rick,

I've just started skirmishing. I bought a slightly used Murray and have great luck with it shooting 40 grains of 3F under a Lee old style minnie. At my last shoot I always hit all my targets and then some during each relay. I got 5 of the team's 10 targets during one relay.

I just bought a RCBs Hogden style mold but have not tried them out yet.

By the way, I tuned the lock and glass bedded the barrel. I had to raise the front sight about 3/16 of an inch. Also had to drift the rear sight to the right about 1/16 inch to get on target.

gjkershul
05-29-2008, 12:56 PM
I had one about 20 years ago. Mine had the three groove rifling as opposed to the current 5 grove rifling. It shot roundball very well. I did not use it for skirmishing but hunted with it in the Michigan December Muzzle Loading Deer season for about 10 years with it and harvested 5 deer with it in snow rain wind and sleet. It never misfired in the field and was only traded in when I became enarmoured of the Brown Bess Musket for most of my shooting.
I recently got an Enfield 1861 Musketoon for Elk hunting and it has reminded me at our montly club shoots how silly I was to get rid of the JP Murray because my old eyes can see the sights on a carbine. I think the Murray is a bit more robust than the Enfield, but then again I don't plan to hunt swamps with the Enfield and I hope I don't have as much trouble with wet snow here in the Golden West.

Rebel Dave
05-29-2008, 09:31 PM
I am working on glass bedding a Murray right now. I have finnished the lock tunning, and in stalling a high front sight. I have also made some rear sights that are higher, that you can make a peep out out of, or an open rear sight. I will let you know when I am done and how it shoots. I like the short ness of the Murray, specially for deer hunting. I plan on shooting it for indivduals also.

Rebel Dave (still unreconstructed)

navalofficer08
05-30-2008, 08:51 AM
The majority of our carbine team has shot J P Murrays for many years without difficulty; I had to reline my barrel after four years because I received some bad lead which was hard and not pure as advertized

threepdr
05-30-2008, 09:46 AM
Craig,

Are you saying that the hard lead ruined the original barrel?

What rifling configurarion did you get in the re-line - shoot better than the factory rifling?

Just curious.

Thanks

navalofficer08
05-30-2008, 01:34 PM
I think it did; the carbine shot well for about four years and suddenly it went bad shortly after I found out I had hard lead. I began shooting my Smith after this after I had Bobby Hoyt reline the Smith barrel; the orginal repro smith barrel was never any good. I had Bobby Hoyt reline the J P Murray; I told him I wanted to shoot the same bullet in the carbine as I did my musket; a RCBS 578 Hodgdon; B obby Holts barrels shoot better then the barrels that come with the repros; I have been saving the J P for my grandson who will begin shooting with us in 2009. I shot it today at fifty yards and it shot the Hodgdons well have to do a little sight work and then get it on at 100 yards for grandson. I don't recall twist Bobby put on it

J Weber 4114V
05-31-2008, 08:54 AM
Craig,I thought about your statement all night.I conclude that that there is no way you shooting any type of lead hard or soft could do anything to your JP Murray barrel other than leading up the rifleing.Leading will destroy accuracy in any type of barrel,but it is removable and accuracy will come back once you get back to a good shooting load.
I would guess ol Bobby Hoyt has relined quite a few barrels that just needed a good cleaning / deleading over the years.
If anyone has other thoughts on this post away

navalofficer08
05-31-2008, 12:00 PM
The barrel was good and clean the rifling looked fine it just stopped shooting accurate it might not have anything to do with the hard lead; I do known team mates who have 1970 or 80 euroarms muskets whose barrels went bad after a few years of shooting. The J P Murrays certainly have given my team many years of good service; My Zoli have also given many years of good service the Euroarms don't seem to hold up for years like the early made Zolis. my Smith shot fairly well for a couple months then it went bad; I know of teams who automatically send their Smiths off to Mr Hoyt they don't waste their time on the stock barrels; you do not have to do this with the JP,s