PDA

View Full Version : Wanted to trade - Docter Optik 8x42 ED binocular

Naphtali
07-26-2015, 01:22 AM
I have a new Docter Optik 8x42 ED binocular complete with padded hard case, strap, etc., but without box or manual, the highest quality binocular made by Analytik Jena - and I can't stand the sight of it. "Why?" you might reasonably ask.

I ordered a Docter Optik 7x40 EDF from an authorized Docter reseller more than a year ago, paid-in-full, and expected the binocular within two weeks. The reseller had the EDF in stock. Well, that's what I was told. He didn't. And his business was in deep financial trouble because the main source of income was police contracts for exotic optical products. With apologies I was asked to wait until Docter's next shipment to him. Then I'd receive my binocular. He couldn't pay for the next shipment.

He did not respond to emails, telephone calls, or letters. I was in regular correspondence with Analytik Jena for several months trying to have them pressure the reseller to refund my money. The only time "my" reseller communicated with me was, apparently, after Germany pressured him. Many months pass, and I'm still doing this dance macabre with the reseller. Eventually, he offered this top-of-the-line Docter binocular plus partial refund. I took the offer.

Upon receiving the binocular, I sat on my back porch and verified it worked correctly and that it was in new condition. Thankfully it worked beautifully and was new. "Thankfully" because what was I going to do if it was something else?

I put the binocular in my safe about four months ago. When I see it I am revolted - reminded about a thoroughly unpleasant experience with a reseller who is now out of business. The truly unfortunate aspect about this is the binocular is first rate and extremely expensive were I to have bought it. Its manufacturer bought the old Zeiss-Jena factory in, I believe, 1992. The machinery for manufacture was replaced with cutting edge technology. All Zeiss-Jena binoculars were discontinued or extensively upgraded, the Zeiss-Jena 7x40 EDF designed for East German Border Police - the binocular I ordered - being one having the extensive quality upgrade.

The 8x42 ED binocular I want to trade is armored, central focusing, with twist-retractable eye pieces. The "ED" refers to specially made optical glass having extra low dispersion. Several best-quality binoculars from other manufacturers also offer ED glass. And like this Docter binocular, they are expensive.

What I seek in trade is one of two binoculars in excellent-to-new condition. I have no preference to which I obtain. In either case the trade values are similar, with the Docter 8x42 ED being, perhaps, slightly more valuable.
1. Docter Optik 7x40 EDF, the binocular I ordered.

2. Zeiss 7x42 B/GA T*P*. This one needs a little more description. This binocular was discontinued in 2004. I would want in trade one that included on its serial numbered hinge end cap the following: MADE IN GERMANY (not made in West Germany); and a serial number higher than 2,2xx,xxx (a binocular made after about 1995).

I have no interest in any binocular other than either of these. If I had to bet, the one more likely to be offered will be the older Zeiss, for there were more than 2.6 million made over its production life.

Naphtali
04-30-2017, 04:14 PM
To the top.

I just saw the binocular again. I still want to get rid of it.

I'm open to other types of trades, money - offers.