PDA

View Full Version : 1858 Parker Hale Reproduction Rifle

Clay Bird
07-20-2015, 02:14 PM
I find the ladder rear sight on this rifle difficult to "see" and use. I am thinking of installing a leaf rear sight on this Enfield rifle similar to that on a Springfield Musket.

I would like some information.

How do Skirmishers rework the rear sight on an Enfield rifle to make it more suitable for 50 and 100 yard shooting involved in skirmishing? I want to have a rear sight on the rifle that is "legal" for skirmishing and I would appreciate any insight you can provide.

Thank you for your time and effort answering my question. I appreciate your help.

Maillemaker
07-20-2015, 02:49 PM
I'd have to look at the rules, but I'm betting that it would not be a legal modification to replace the Enfield rear sight with a Springfield rear sight. I could be wrong, though.

I'm sure John Holland or someone will be along shortly with the scoop.

Normally to achieve point-of-aim at 50 and 100 yards with a reasonable rear sight picture skirmishers replace the front sight with a taller front sight.

Steve

Lou Lou Lou
07-20-2015, 03:40 PM
No, you can't change the configuration of the sight. That being said, they're are workarounds. Solder on a flat piece of metal and drill a 50 and 100 yard peep. Stick a toothpick in the one you aren't using.
there are other solutions, as well

Mike McDaniel
07-20-2015, 04:01 PM
There's no way to replace the sight with a leaf-type that I know of. The best option would be to either fit a peep in the position of the existing sight....or get a Springfield or Fayetteville rifle that was fitted with a leaf-type rear sight from the start.

It's the situation I'm in...if I get the time, I'm switching muskets to a Fayetteville for precisely that reason.

Paul Lampman 263V
07-20-2015, 04:20 PM
See section 19.9.1 SIGHTS (HAND AND SHOULDER ARMS) (amended 08/08) of the rules.