PDA

View Full Version : need advice

kowdok
07-17-2015, 09:17 AM
I have a Harpers Ferry Maynard that the barrel seems to have bulged in the middle. The gun shot great years ago, but now all rounds shot out of it keyhole. I have slugged the barrel and the bullet is tight at the breech and muzzle, but almost falls through the middle of the barrel. My questions are, can this be successfully relined, and if so, who would be the best choice, also most reasonably priced, and if the barrel needs replacing, who is a reasonable source for it? Any help greatly appreciated. Opinions as to whether can be relined or new barrel?

Lou Lou Lou
07-17-2015, 09:35 AM
I know Bobby Hoyt can reline it. I think John Bly makes repro barrels. Whittaker is topnotch. Pick 'em

Chris Sweeney
07-17-2015, 02:20 PM
I used to have a HF Maynard and I had Hoyt reline. You have to be careful with HF relines that you get the chamber the right size; most, if not all of the HFs had larger than spec chambers that would only take the white HF plastic cases.

If I remember correctly, mine was only "approximately" a Maynard; the geometry was so far off that I couldn't put on a different barrel (neither original nor repros would fit) Mine was really early-maybe the later ones were better . . .

Rich Foster
07-17-2015, 02:44 PM
Give your barrel and a maynard case ( maybe painted orange with a long string tied to the barrel with a tag with your name on it. Hoyt is not getting any younger) and Hoyt can reline it and cut the chamber to the proper Diameter using the case you provide that you shoot in the gun. Should turn out just fine. Rich Foster

Eggman
07-17-2015, 03:26 PM
#1. FIRST get Bobby on the phone. Find out what's going on in his world. Keep trying until he answers.
#2. Discuss your specific circumstances and needs.
#3. Discuss cost. Up front cash highly recommended.

My Hoyt lined Maynard fits all the current brass perfectly. I got it grouped in with a batch of six he was doing. Saved $$. I paid him with cash in advance. Saved $$. TAPE one of your address labels to the barrel. Got the finished barrel back in about two weeks. Great work!!

Bullseye54
07-17-2015, 04:17 PM
I just sent my Harpers Ferry to Larry Romano.. Larry went through the weapon,
and recommended welding up the chamber, fixing the lockup that was loose as a goose
then he is having it relined and will machine her to his specs..
He said the chamber was huge on it which explains why I could never get it
to group.. Hopefully it will be back this week and I can try it out next
weekend at our shoot... Hopefully..

Kevin Tinny
07-17-2015, 06:19 PM
Am confused a bit:

What I see is a posting "8 hrs ago".
Then several helpful suggestions today, followed by your post that you'd already sent the carbine to Larry and that he'd evaluated it.

So, just don't follow the chronology. Maybe it's me or my "smartphone". Sorry.

Larry has reworked several HF's, so it is in good hands. I doubt it will be ready as soon as you expect.

If he lines and chambers to his usual dimensions, you will have a bell ringer.

Congrat's.

Kevin Tinny

Bullseye54
07-17-2015, 06:56 PM
confusing? "Kowdok" 8hrs ago was looking for advise for his problem H/F Maynard..
No one mentioned that Larry Romano works on problem guns.. So I (Bullseye54)
mentioned 2 hrs ago that I sent my Harpers Ferry Maynard to Larry R. to be repaired..
Does this help?

Kevin Tinny
07-17-2015, 07:45 PM
Yes, sorry. Thanks. I misread and thought you and he were the same.

Larry is great. Just finished a 35 Maynard for me, too.

Please let us know how your reworked one performs.

Regards,
Kevin Tinny

Bullseye54
07-17-2015, 07:59 PM
Can do, as soon as I test her out I will give an up date..
I always blame my confusion on "lead Poisoning" !

Kevin Tinny
07-18-2015, 08:00 AM
Yes, I'm almost over the hill, as my last couple posts confirm, BUT:

Lately, when viewing the N-SSA forum via Android Samsung 6 smartphone, IF NOT LOGGED-ON FIRST, I often do not see the past few hours of postings. The forum appears current, but I am not seeing the latest, maybe 6 -8 hours of items.

This seems to have started around the same time the 'site was updated a couple months back.

But, the same thing happens with one other forum, of the several I follow.

Regards,
Kevin Tinny