PDA

View Full Version : Cap source?

tackdriver
07-14-2015, 06:14 PM
Ive had trouble with the CCI caps with my 1853 Enfield for a while. Now that they've changed their labeling from "Reenactor Use" to "Multiple use" they have gone from bad to worse. Of course, I discovered this after ordering a 1,000. Anyway, does anyone have a recommendation for a source (mail order) of the German 1080's?

Thx. By the way, if you remember my past posts about accuracy problems with my Enfield and minie balls, the problem has been solved by switching to the Wilkensons. Whudda thot...

jonk
07-14-2015, 09:16 PM
A number of online merchants sell them... most of our guys order (or get in person) from Back Creek Gun Shop. http://www.blackpowderva.com/.

It's interesting that you are having issues with them even in the Enfield. I have an Enfield myself (not my main gun) and with the bolster being drilled directly into the chamber rather than a drum configuration with right angles, usually ignition is positive even with weak caps.

Shame really, the old CCI 6 wing caps were hot and a good buy.

Maillemaker
07-14-2015, 09:19 PM
I just bought 1000 Dynamite Nobel musket caps from Powder Inc.

https://www.powderinc.com/

You can also buy them from Back Creek Gun Shop:

http://www.blackpowderva.com/

Steve

Maillemaker
07-14-2015, 09:19 PM
Also, which Wilkinson are you shooting weight-wise?

Steve

tackdriver
07-14-2015, 09:54 PM
I knew you guys would have the answer. Now, providing they have them in stock and don't charge too much for shipping..... The CCI's I have are 4 winged. When you shoot, you can actually see residue left in the nipple hole. After a misfire, I would have to pull the nipple and pick thru the hole and run a wet pipe cleaner thru. I had to do this
5 TIMES today. Shooting in the 103 degree desert was bad enough without having to deal with this. I would use a 1080 after the misfire, but it was too plugged to go thru. I swear the 1080's even sound louder. I switched to the 1080's and had no more problems. Today was the worst experience I've had with the CCIs.

Maillmaker, I use the Moose Mould in t 577-420. I size to .576 They have been dead on. Well, dead on for me. I can hit a paper plate consistently at 100 yards. They taste bad but field dressing them is pretty darn easy...

Ibgreen
07-14-2015, 10:29 PM
I knew you guys would have the answer. Now, providing they have them in stock and don't charge too much for shipping..... The CCI's I have are 4 winged. When you shoot, you can actually see residue left in the nipple hole. After a misfire, I would have to pull the nipple and pick thru the hole and run a wet pipe cleaner thru. I had to do this
5 TIMES today. Shooting in the 103 degree desert was bad enough without having to deal with this. I would use a 1080 after the misfire, but it was too plugged to go thru. I swear the 1080's even sound louder. I switched to the 1080's and had no more problems. Today was the worst experience I've had with the CCIs.

Maillmaker, I use the Moose Mould in t 577-420. I size to .576 They have been dead on. Well, dead on for me. I can hit a paper plate consistently at 100 yards. They taste bad but field dressing them is pretty darn easy...

i use that same mold for deer hunting. Drops them quick with 60 grains of FFF goex!

jonk
07-15-2015, 12:20 AM
Be aware that shipping caps will entail a haz-mat fee. If you're ok with that, that's a good route to go. Usually I order 5000 at a time if by mail so as to spread the haz-mat fee out over more caps.

One sleeve will run you about $75. Haz mat is usually $25 or so, s/h depends on your zip code but expect $10 minimum. $110 for one sleeve would be steep... but $185 for 2.... etc. You get the picture.

If you want only a few tins, finding someone local would be the only other option.

Maillemaker
07-15-2015, 01:59 PM
I won't name names, but not all vendors charge hazmat for shipping caps. They said they asked their shipper and never got a response so they don't charge hazmat. Don't know how long they will get away with that but you should ask.

Steve

tackdriver
07-15-2015, 04:05 PM
Anybody know anything about Schuetzen caps? They seem reasonably priced, which concerns me... I know Schuetzen makes good powder.

Also, there seems to be a problem with the powderinc site. None of the links connect. I am really hoping to find a site that also sells #11 caps so I can combine the order

Maillemaker
07-15-2015, 06:48 PM
Which links are giving you problems? I'm not having any problems using Firefox.

Steve

tackdriver
07-15-2015, 08:30 PM
You're able to navigate the site? I tried it with both IE and Firefox. I clicked on the links and it says "not found"... Plus on the home page I didn't see anything about caps? I like the other site youd recommended, but I need to order 2,000 caps min. That would last me to the year 2200... Still, even with this minimum, they offer a better deal than anyone else. I wish they also sold #11 caps.
\Do you know anything about the Schutzen caps by chance?

Maillemaker
07-15-2015, 10:03 PM
I don't know anything about Sheutzen caps. Did not even know they made them.

I have no problem navigating the Powderinc site.

Off the main page click the "Caps with Powder" link.

Steve

Bullseye54
07-16-2015, 01:05 AM
Hey Tack driver... I just made up a batch of Wilkinson's to try out in my enfield...
What are you using for lube and load.. How are you lubing them? Do
you lube them when sizing ? Joe

ms3635v
07-16-2015, 05:52 AM
Joe,

Size them first, then just dip the base in the lube, don't get any in the compression groove or the bullet won't function properly. I use MCM and it works great with the Wilkinson. If you are working up a load start at 40 grains (I use 3F) and start from there. A teammate got his best results using 45 grains of 3F.

Maillemaker
07-16-2015, 01:32 PM
Maillmaker, I use the Moose Mould in t 577-420. I size to .576 They have been dead on.

I'll have to try that one. I bought the 577-450. Accuracy has only been so-so. But I get ragged holes with the RCBS-Hodgdon that is about 420 grains, so maybe I'm using too heavy a bullet.

you lube them when sizing

I think you pretty much have to dip lube them. If I tried to lube them in my Lubrisizer, it would pack the compression gap with lube and would probably no longer compress to take up the rifling as it is supposed to. I size them in my Lubrisizer without lubing. I have tried them with SPG and Crisco/Beeswax. No real difference for me. I tried shooting them with Shuetzen powder and could only load about 3 shots before it was too crunchy to load. Goex is much cleaner.

Steve

Bullseye54
07-16-2015, 07:57 PM
Thanks Mike will give it a try this weekend... Joe

tackdriver
07-17-2015, 05:18 PM
Hey Tack driver... I just made up a batch of Wilkinson's to try out in my enfield...
you lube them when sizing ? Joe
I use the store bought...name escapes me something like FG? Also as it is expensive, I embellish it with bees wax. I lube mine differently, I lube before I size them. In that way it forces the lube into the groove better. But either way works. At 50 yards I put in 40g of FFF, distances past that I put in 45g and adjust the rear sight accordingly. My sights are flat up to 100 yards.

tackdriver
07-17-2015, 05:25 PM
As memory serves the 450g mould spits the bullet out sized at 580? Do you size them down to 576 or 577? Maybe that could be a problem? In my rifle I found no differene in accuracy between 576 and 577. The 576 loads a lot easier so that is the size I use

I'll have to try that one. I bought the 577-450. Accuracy has only been so-so. But I get ragged holes with the RCBS-Hodgdon that is about 420 grains, so maybe I'm using too heavy a bullet.

I think you pretty much have to dip lube them. If I tried to lube them in my Lubrisizer, it would pack the compression gap with lube and would probably no longer compress to take up the rifling as it is supposed to. I size them in my Lubrisizer without lubing. I have tried them with SPG and Crisco/Beeswax. No real difference for me. I tried shooting them with Shuetzen powder and could only load about 3 shots before it was too crunchy to load. Goex is much cleaner.

Steve

Bullseye54
07-17-2015, 07:51 PM
The only sizer die I have is .577 ... I'll give that one a try...

Maillemaker
07-17-2015, 09:15 PM
As memory serves the 450g mould spits the bullet out sized at 580? Do you size them down to 576 or 577? Maybe that could be a problem? In my rifle I found no differene in accuracy between 576 and 577. The 576 loads a lot easier so that is the size I use

They drop at about .580 with an average weight of 446.55 grains. I have tried them sized to .576 and .578 in different guns. They shoot decently, but not as good as my .578 RCBS-Hodgdon which averages 419.29 grains which I size to .576.

I probably need to sell this mold on here and go buy the 420 grain version.

I love the mold. Being dual cavity it really cranks them out and with no hollow cavity there are never any voids.

Steve

ms3635v
07-18-2015, 08:33 AM
I have both sizes of Moose's Wilkinson in .58 caliber. They both cast to the diameter they are cut for. I size .001" under bore size and this gives the best results. You can go .002" and still get acceptable results. Just as a point of reference, I was able size a .577" down to .574" to fit a .575" bore and it did not affect the bullet shape. If you size more than .002" of an inch under bore size you may notice a change in the accuracy.