PDA

View Full Version : Benton Sight on a Mississippi ?

Jack C., 69th NY
07-09-2015, 11:14 PM
I am thinking about using a Benton rear sight on an upcoming Mississippi restoration project. Before committing to this configuration I'd like to hear from anyone who has used this sight. I know it was taken out of service as it was considered too fragile for combat use but for N-SSA purposes it might be suitable. Thanks for any input! :D

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
07-10-2015, 07:26 AM
Jack,

I used this his site on a M1841 years ago and found that it would not stay in the upright position during the reloading process. Also the adjustment screw seem to travel a bit. I didn't mess with it too much after that.

I guess the War Department knew what they were talking about in the 1850's

phil

Jack C., 69th NY
07-10-2015, 07:52 AM
Phil, thanks for your input. I never would have thought about that aspect. But it is such a great looking sight.
All the best,
Jack

ian45662
07-10-2015, 08:14 AM
I have one and found the same problems that Phil had. I think I have corrected them though. With a sharpening stone I polished the inside portion of the ladder portion so that I when I would tighten up the screw it would kind of pinch the actual sight. I keep a small screwdriver in the patch box and when I stand the sight up and move the slider where I want it I tighten the screw and the hole thing stays solid. I have only used it at my home range though. Only after shooting it in an actual skirmish will I know for sure if it works or not but I am thinking there shouldn't be a problem. I also had it converted to a peep sight

Jim Wimbish, 10395
07-10-2015, 08:36 AM
Benton Screw Sight,

I had a Mississippi with one of these and found the sight unusable for skirmishing. The adjustment on the ladder was coarse, and it took too long to acquire the front sight in the aperture when shooting at 100 yards. Plus you had to use tape to mask the gap between the block on the ladder and the base or you got a ghost image of the front sight.