PDA

View Full Version : When did our Government say the Civil War ended?

Bruce Cobb 1723V
07-03-2015, 11:16 AM
Almost all say it ended at Lee's surrender ..... wrong, wrong, wrong. Look it up! Hint ... No it didn't end with the surrender of the last Confederate raider either. It may change our rules on the issue of muskets and other things used, or least change some peoples minds on how to look at it.

j.howardcycles
07-03-2015, 02:57 PM
President Andrew Johnson Proclamation for the end of the war was in April 1866 .

Bruce Cobb 1723V
07-03-2015, 06:53 PM
Yes, Did you look it up? wonder how many thought they knew!

j.howardcycles
07-03-2015, 11:09 PM
The only thing I did was look up on my wall to make certain I had the month correct. I wrote it on a 3x5 card sometime ago. Then hung up.;)

Rob FreemanWBR
07-04-2015, 06:26 AM
Bottom-line: the Army of Northern Va was the South's center of gravity, not the Confederate Gov't, or Richmond.

Thus with Lee's surrender, the overall strategic military objective had been realized and victory finally achieved.

True there were other pieces still on the chess board, and other engagements did take place after the fact; however, by that time the fat lady had long finished singing...

Southron Sr.
07-28-2015, 06:37 PM
WHAT? WHAT?? WHAT???

You mean that THE WHAR IS OVER????

My understanding was that General Lee and General Grant agreed on a "Half Time" at Appomattox.

I have always understood that I-75 & I-95 was built to kill Yankees that came South..... and King Rat in Orlando was built to fleece the Yankees that survived the trip South.

Oh well, I am always the last to get the news.

Curt
07-28-2015, 07:19 PM
Hallo!

In many ways, the War did not really "end."

The contentious or constitutional issue of whether individual states having voluntarily 'Unionized' and joined together had the right to secede or leave the Union was not resolved- the CS states lost the ability to forcibly contest that they could.

:) :)

Curt

Ron/The Old Reb
07-29-2015, 07:15 AM
"and King Rat in Orlando was built to fleece the Yankees that survived the trip South."

You should have added South of The Border also.

glenhunter
08-21-2015, 12:46 AM
"and King Rat in Orlando was built to fleece the Yankees that survived the trip South."

You should have added South of The Border also.

Ain't that the truth!

RaiderANV
08-21-2015, 08:32 AM
When folks say the war is over, you lost, so get over it......I reply.
It ain't over. It's Halftime with ah score of 1--nut'n.
Second half is double value points!!!

Dave Fox
08-21-2015, 10:06 AM
I've never quite understood why a South, which could cheerfully cram the Fugitive Slave Law down the throats of sister states in 1850, could bleat about states rights after losing the Civil War. Recall: the Fugitive Slave Law loosed a species of tobacco-chewing slave catchers into peaceful mid-western and eastern communities, dragging away northerners' neighbors to a farce of a hearing before federal magistrates who were only paid if they found in favor of the slaver. It amounted to the most profound federal intrusion into the rights of states ever theretofore enacted. And the South loved it.
Certainly, in the arguments and formal declarations of the seceding states in 1860 and '61, states' rights takes a back seat to the issue of slavery. Georgia's declaration is particularly illustrative: "For the last ten years we have had numerous and serious causes of complaint against (the non-slave holding states) with reference to the subject of African slavery (leading to) virtual civil war". After secession but before the fighting, Confederate Vice President Alexander Stevens gave a widely acclaimed speech professing African slavery to be the "cornerstone" of what was then the world's greatest slave-holding republic. After the war Stevens and many, many others have attempted to sublimate slavery as the cornerstone of secession and substitute the more acceptable cause of states rights...even though, as Georgia had recorded, it be the right of states to keep slaves and expand the institution.

Jim Leinicke 7368V
08-21-2015, 12:14 PM
Interesting analysis, Fox. Certainly the probably unforeseen results of the Dred Scott decision caused considerable hard feelings towards the institution of slavery where previously relative indifference had been the norm, especially in the Midwest and in the east-central states. In south and south-central Illinois, with slave states on all borders, there was a high degree of tolerance towards the institution. That did not indeed start to change until, as Fox points out, the country was over-run by unsavory slave catchers sanctioned and protected by the authority of the federal government. Like John Brown's Raid it was a major step towards war.

Jim Leinicke
114th Illinois

Bruce Cobb 1723V
08-21-2015, 04:38 PM
Thanks to all who looked and never knew it was actually 1866.

RaiderANV
08-22-2015, 11:01 AM
Ohhhhh......that's what you were after. 8-20-66 Andrew Johnson declared the official end.

John Holland
08-25-2015, 04:37 PM
This thread has been locked at the request of the individual who began the thread.
John Holland