PDA

View Full Version : Smoothbore

Ted
06-24-2015, 11:04 PM
I am going to get a smoothbore. Was looking at either a Pedersoli 1816 Harpers Ferry colt conversion or a repro 1842. I know there is a cost difference, but anything else for pro's or con's?

jonk
06-24-2015, 11:12 PM
Well personally I shoot original smoothbores. Luck has let me cross paths with 3 that were quite reasonable in price; and that said you can get quite a good 42 for a similar price to a repro.

If you want a repro specifically, from what I've seen and heard, the Armi Sport 42s often have issues with the mainspring/lockplate fit and hammer to nipple fit, requiring some tinkering (aka bending). But they shoot well. Our A SB team is fairly competitive, and one of the guys who usually has the 2nd or 3rd place standing on the team shoots a repro Armi Sport 42.

The 1816 Pedersoli isn't really in spec to current SAC standards, but was production approved some years ago. I've only ever held one and it seemed better made than the Armi Sport, this issue notwithstanding.

They should both ultimately serve you well, a lot of it is just personal preference.

That said, my original 42 and original 16 will both shoot rings around repros, IF I do my part; at least in my own experience.

If you hold off until fall nationals you're welcome to shoot a few rounds out of either of my guns at the far end for the unlimited individuals.

Lou Lou Lou
06-25-2015, 10:08 AM
Pm sent. speak to the Hughes bros at Saratoga this weekend

Maillemaker
06-25-2015, 11:29 AM
I shoot a reproduction Armisport 1842. It shoots very well for me with 70 grains 3F Goex using balls cast from wheel weight lead in a .678 mold, then tripple-dipped in Alox. I've only shot it in a skirmish a couple of times since I got it at Christmas, but it has gotten me medals every time. The barrel has been glass bedded.

Steve

Maillemaker
06-26-2015, 09:16 PM
I have this theory that no one in the N-SSA actually owns a gun. We all just rent them out to each other. My carbine once belonged to two other people on my team. Likewise I bought my smoothy from a team mate. :)

Steve

Lou Lou Lou
06-27-2015, 08:52 AM
Barry Selzner of the 120th Ny said the same thing 20 years ago. It is still true

jonk
06-29-2015, 09:41 PM
It's true enough. My sharps came from a retired teammate who got it from someone else, who got it from someone else. My Fayetteville came from Tim Scanlan, who most likely got it from someone else. Even my Smith, that I got off gunbroker, as soon as I looked at the front sight on it, I knew it had been a skirmish gun. My potsdam came from a teammate too. I got my Henry off of a skirmisher as well.

Now my Enfield 58, that I bought new. My Armi sport 61 was a reenactor's gun. My 16 came from an antique mall, and my 42 was a gun show find. Wesson was off of gb, revolver was at an auction.

But should I sell any, I'd rather sell to a skrimisher at a good price than anywhere else. Keep them in the family.