PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Tried The New Schutzen Musket Caps?

Southron Sr.
06-23-2015, 10:32 PM
I am just wondering how powerful they are. Has anyone tried them yet?

I understand that they are made in Madrid, Spain.

Hopefully, these musket caps will provide reliable ignition for Sharps, Smiths and Burnsides.

http://www.schuetzenpowder.com/4minuswing-musket-caps

jonk
06-24-2015, 12:20 AM
I haven't tried them (and indeed, didn't know they existed) but it is nice to see. Even the RWS ones, while utterly reliable in musket and smoothbore, sometimes lack the oomph to burn through a slightly pinched sharps cartridge or smith tube sticker.

Hopefully they're HOT and not the re-enactor crap.

I'd wager that at very least, the folks from Schutzen and Swiss who set up and sponsor at the nationals would be able to give us info.

What would be cool is, if someone got some and took a smith, took off the barrel, and filmed them in slo-motion at night to get an idea of the flame they put out.

Maillemaker
06-24-2015, 02:02 PM
Good to see another competitor enter this arena. It worries me that there is only one good source for caps.

Steve

John Bly
06-24-2015, 05:31 PM
I spoke with Jim Kirkland of Schuetzen Powder the 1st weekend of May and he said he had several million sitting in a container in Spain ready to ship. Back Creek should have some in the next few weeks and we can all try them then. Rumor is that they will be about $5 cheaper per thousand.

Eggman
06-24-2015, 05:41 PM
Hopefully, these musket caps will provide reliable ignition for Sharps, Smiths and Burnsides.

This is just way too tempting!!!!!!

John Holland
06-24-2015, 09:30 PM
Thank you, John Bly, for the update! From what I could see in the photos they didn't look like they had a foil liner over the fulminate. That would put me in mind of the old Alcan's.

JDH

OregonBill
11-29-2015, 03:34 PM
If these ever arrived, what do folks think of them?

ian45662
11-29-2015, 03:58 PM
I like them!! Most of the time when you pull the hammer back the spent cap comes flying off the nipple. The seem to set all my guns off including me sharps. I will probably use them exclusively from here on. The POI seemed to be very close to what the RWS is at least in my firearms that has been the case

Muley Gil
11-29-2015, 08:43 PM
Jackie Venskoske at Back Creek has 'em and they are indeed $5 cheaper. I picked up 1000 at the Fall National, but haven't used any yet.

Dan Mastin
11-29-2015, 08:56 PM
Bought a thousand in July. In the first couple hundred I used there were 2 that were simply duds and at least 1 noticable hang fire. If I remember correctly the hangfire was with my Mississippi (Hoyt barrel). This is a failure rate much much higher than I experience with the German caps. I now use the new ones only for snapping caps.

Dan Mastin
11th indiana

Jim_Burgess_2078V
12-01-2015, 12:37 PM
I purchased some from Jackie after the fall nationals and have only had a limited chance to use them afterward but they seem to work well in my Shiloh Sharps carbine. They appear to be a promising substitute for the old, discontinued 6-wing CCI caps that worked great in my Sharps. Since the Schutzen caps are packaged in plastic trays covered in cardboard, I'd recommend transferring them to an old cap tin to protect them from the weather in the field where moisture could degrade their potency.

Jim Burgess, 15th CVI

R Filbert
12-26-2015, 11:20 AM
I have used them on my Smith and they work well seem hot as old CCIs and have also noticed that they are plated as they rust when left on the ground. So I tried a magnet on them and they stick, so they are probably plated which I guess would be good as they will rust away over time. They also have a smaller wing diameter which allows me to use them on an original 1st mod Maynard, still a little hard to get on the nipple though. R Filbert 7519 V Hazelwood Vol.

John Holland
12-26-2015, 12:32 PM
Steel, or Iron, caps, let me think about that for a minute. Excellent! The next time I dump caps all over the floor, ready area, shooting box, etc., all I will need is a magnet! If I mount it on a rod I won't even have to bend over....it just keeps getting better!

MR. GADGET
12-26-2015, 01:38 PM
After picking up 1000 federal 209 shotgun primmers last week for 26$ I wonder if there is a way to make a nipple that will hold a 209 and ust take an extra hammer then add a firing pin to it by drill and weld or make a cut to form it.

John Holland
12-26-2015, 01:57 PM
Mr. G. - I believe Rule 22.6 answers your question: "c. The only allowable method of ignition for percussion or flintlock arms shall be percussion caps or flints." This is in regards to the
N-SSA only, for private or sport use I'm sure something could be fabricated to accommodate a 209 shotgun primer.

jonk
12-26-2015, 05:19 PM
Well, I don't think it would be hard to modify a gun to use a 209... sleeve insert to screw in in place of the nipple, teat welded inside the hammer to strike it. As John points out though, it wouldn't be N-SSA legal; though it may be an enterprising thing for a machinist to offer for folks who are just looking to shoot their guns and who aren't in the N-SSA, or to try for the pure heck of it.

It WOULD be a heck of a bang, for sure. Bet that would set off those stubborn Smiths and Sharps...

Maillemaker
12-26-2015, 09:55 PM
There is, in fact, a device that threads into the bolster to replace the cone that will take a 209 Primer. But you have to unthread the retainer each shot to pull out and replace the 209 primer. Not conducive to timed competition shooting at all.

Steve