PDA

View Full Version : 1855 or richmond???

CAGerringer
06-23-2015, 03:24 PM
What do I have?
It was described as an 1861 Springfield barrel for sale on EBay. It arrived, and had an earlier style sight on it '55 or '58, the one with the screw head on the outside of the base. So, removed the sight and it has the non-slip notch cut into the barrel and a little bump on the sight that fits into the notch in the barrel. That makes it something other than a 1861. It has the V, P, Eaglehead stamped on the left side of the barrel, but no date is left on the top. There is a capital "K" on the back of the breechplug, and a "C" stamped on the back edge of the barrel just outside of the breech plug. The bottom of the left rear of the barrel, opposite the side with the bolster, is stamped with a "J". The barrel is rifled with 3 wide lands and grooves.
I'm expecting one of you smart folks to have all the answers!
Thanks in advance,
Charlie Gerringer
Old Dominion Dragoons

John Holland
06-23-2015, 03:44 PM
The barrel & sight you have described can be many things! The M-1858 sight base was used on the M-1855 Rifle Muskets, both at Springfield and Harper's Ferry. It also showed up on very early M-1861 Springfield Rifle Muskets. In addition, Bridesburg used it on the early deliveries of their M-1861 Contract Rifle Muskets. Because Richmond received all of the Rifle Musket production machinery and tooling from the captured Harper's Ferry Armory, they also used the M-1858 rear sight base with the steady pin.

CAGerringer
06-23-2015, 04:41 PM
One other thing I forgot to note...there is a scored line-up line on the bottoms of the breech plug and the barrel, that match up when aligned.
Thanks,
Charlie Gerringer
Old Dominion Dragoons

Bruce Cobb 1723V
06-25-2015, 09:36 AM
Pictures will tell a lot. Take a picture of the v/p eagle and the front sight. How long is the barrel. Someone out there has a book on the different styles of eagles used by each manufacturer and may help you out.

Jim Leinicke 7368V
06-25-2015, 09:43 AM
There are distinct differences in how the steady pin notch was milled at Springfield, Harpers Ferry, and Richmond. Also, Richmond barrels were generally supposed to be .577 rather than .580. I am doubtful as to how closely this was adhered to. My 1862 Richmond rifle-musket does have a tight bore that will accept no gauge larger than .577", but my 1865 dated Richmond short rifle is more like .580. The rifle bore, however, is badly worn and pitted. So who knows?

I have been meaning to try show the difference in the steady pin notches with photographs but don't know if I am capable. I will see what I can do and try to post something next week (We have a skirmish out here this weekend).

Jim Leinicke
7368V

CAGerringer
06-27-2015, 03:19 PM
Jim, I've got great detailed photos of the steady pin notch and the V P Eagle head, but they are 1.2 MB and to large for this forum. If you send your email address to chezandcharlie@gmail.com , I'll forward the pics to you. The barrel has been cut off at 29 inches and unfortunately has no front sight.

Thanks,
Charlie Gerringer
Old Dominion Dragoons