PDA

View Full Version : 580 Hodgdon

John H
06-15-2015, 06:27 AM
Need some help, I am looking to purchase a Hodgdon bullet mold , I shoot a .578 bullet, Do I buy a .580 mold and size down to a .578? Also does anyone know where I should buy one at?
Thank You,
John

kowdok
06-15-2015, 07:32 AM
Hello John
I shoot exclusively the Hogdon bullet in several guns. I highly recommend using the larger size and size down to the correct size, you will get the best consistency by doing this. I have used mostly a .578 mold for years and it always puts out a .577 bullet. I size to .576 for 1 gun and .575 for 2 guns. I have sized down to .572 for a loaner gun I have. I do this in 2 steps, ie.- size to .575 and then to .572. I have never had an issue with doing this. I always use case lube on the bullets as I size them to prevent from deforming the nose. Works great. I have always purchased from S&S firearms in NY. They are probably a little expensive, but are great to work with and will get your order in the mail immediately. Good luck.
PS-just remembered, I have a .580 that I no longer use and probably would sell it if you are interested. email-jjjrogers@abts.net

Greg Ogdan 110th OVI
06-15-2015, 09:25 AM
The Hodgdon mould is available from Midway USA in several diameters. Just bought one last week.

jonk
06-15-2015, 12:19 PM
Northeast trader also makes a core pin for them that makes the skirt a little thinner and the cavity a little deeper. I found it to be the cat's meow in turning a very good bullet into an outstanding one.

I found in all of my guns it likes a fairly stiff charge, 48 gr of 3f.

As to which size to get, I always get a fatter one and size down. I have guns that run from .576 to .582 in the bullet size needed, so a .580 was a good investment. Fits 'em all. The grooves are deep enough that taking 4/1000 off doesn't do any harm. I like to take at least 1/1000 off anyhow when possible to true up the shape of the bullet. That said, if you only cast for one gun, getting one that nominally drops 1-2/1000 under wouldn't be bad. Might not even have to size then.