PDA

View Full Version : Why did Sharps rifles and carbines secure foreend wood with bands rather than screws?

Naphtali
06-15-2015, 03:43 AM
During the Civil War I believe all Sharps carbines and rifles used by soldiers secured their foreend wood via bands. Commercial sporting models and 1874s generally secured foreend wood with screws [into barrel studs]. By the nature of warfare being more demanding on parts and assemblies, I suspect bands do a better job of holding everything together. But if this were accurate, why did not all models use the more secure method? Since Berdan's rifles' foreend wood was secured with bands, I anticipate screw fastening would yield no more accuracy than the sniper's rifles. So I why not use bands universally?

Muley Gil
06-15-2015, 06:16 AM
"By the nature of warfare being more demanding on parts and assemblies, I suspect bands do a better job of holding everything together."

This is the reason. Using screws for commercial guns and bands for military guns was typical of the time, all the way into the mid 20th century.

John Holland
06-15-2015, 09:38 AM
Interestingly, the Sharps Rifle and Carbine both have a screw with a iron washer securing the forearm, along with the barrel bands.

Naphtali
06-15-2015, 11:57 AM
Interestingly, the Sharps Rifle and Carbine both have a screw with a iron washer securing the forearm, along with the barrel bands.
Mr. Holland:

Where along the foreend is the screw located?

I ask because I just glanced at my Shiloh 1863 cavalry carbine. Never having removed its banded foreend, if this Shiloh reproduces a Civil War-era carbine foreend-to-barrel assembly, the screw must be concealed beneath the barrel band.

P.Altland
06-15-2015, 01:03 PM
My Garret has both a screw/washer located just ahead of the breach and a band at the end of the forearm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Holland
06-15-2015, 01:42 PM
The screw location noted on the Garrett is identical to the originals.

Naphtali
06-15-2015, 05:08 PM
You are correct, and I am unobservant. I looked for a screw assembly that would be nearer the center of the foreend. For some reason I noticed the screw but assumed it anchored the lever spring in some way. And I'm unsure why I thought that since I know better.

Now I really don't know why barrel bands are used. The screw assembly necessitates its removal to remove the foreend, so why not just use a second screw as I think I remember my sporting rifle using? . . . The more I think about this, the worse becomes my headache from thinking about this.