PDA

View Full Version : who ordered the new DP SB pistol?

MR. GADGET
05-20-2015, 01:56 PM
Got a few on order to play with....
Looks like a nice build and should be fun. Just need to wait for it to come in and see how they shoot.

So those shooting SB muzzleloader pistol, what kind of gear you using?
What loading blocks, type of rod, and how you doing yours?

Are we able to use a different desing or type of rod? Like an all wood rod, larger dia, maybe a cutdown brass in the shape of an 1842 sb rod?

Just want to find all the ins and outs of it before I start.

Let me know.

Don Branch 12592
05-20-2015, 02:37 PM
Jon - what SB does Pedersoli make that would be approved and correct to the period??? The only one I'm aware of is the Harpers Ferry and it is rifled and would need to be rebarreled to SB...

Don

MR. GADGET
05-20-2015, 03:20 PM
It is a new one based off that one.
It has a standard lock and drum conversion.
There is some info on the DP Facebook site.
They had pictures of the one that was on display and for sale at Dixie Gun last weekend.
Has a good feel.

MR. GADGET
05-20-2015, 03:24 PM
Now if we can only get them to repop a H&P sighted smooth bore to use in the SB musket match.

I have sent several emails over the last few years. Who knows...
would be nice.

Maillemaker
05-21-2015, 04:03 PM
I have also emailed them about making an H&P 1816 conversion. They already to a sort-of Colt conversion. All they would need is new tooling for the lock plate and a casting for the new bolster.

Steve

MR. GADGET
05-21-2015, 04:37 PM
I have also emailed them about making an H&P 1816 conversion. They already to a sort-of Colt conversion. All they would need is new tooling for the lock plate and a casting for the new bolster.

Steve

That was my thoughts.
Have talked to them several times and I think we are making ground.

Jim Leinicke 7368V
05-21-2015, 08:50 PM
Gear? Well, you need a loading rod which I suggest ought to be a length of 1/2" dowel with appropriate brass tip and of-course a cleaning rod. Ball should be as close to bore size as can be easily loaded. Loads vary all over the map, but some of the best scores were fired with very light loads (12-15 grains).

The Pedersoli 1805 HF pistol looks and feels good, but unless the production lock is much better than the prototype it will need a lot of lock tuning. Weight and balance are great!

Jim Leinicke
7368V

Got a few on order to play with....
Looks like a nice build and should be fun. Just need to wait for it to come in and see how they shoot.

So those shooting SB muzzleloader pistol, what kind of gear you using?
What loading blocks, type of rod, and how you doing yours?

Are we able to use a different desing or type of rod? Like an all wood rod, larger dia, maybe a cutdown brass in the shape of an 1842 sb rod?

Just want to find all the ins and outs of it before I start.

Let me know.

MR. GADGET
05-21-2015, 09:05 PM
Was thinking about just using my leathers and load the ammo in tubes like my 69 cal smoothbore.

As for rod, that was one of my questions, could you build a rod from brass or does it need to be wood.
If wood do you need to have the brass caps on each ends?
My other guns I use not for N-SSA I just use a wood oak or ash rod that has been stained and oiled.
Works great and should be easy and cheap if they don't make up brass cap them.

MR. GADGET
07-07-2015, 10:47 AM
So did anyone that ordered the pistols get any info yet?

Was told 2 months so thinking it will be soon for mine.

Anyone been In. Contact or hear anything.
Time is running out to sign up for fall nationals if they don't ship soon or say anything.

Mike McDaniel
07-07-2015, 11:16 AM
I haven't seen one yet.

For the record, I think the N-SSA needs to permit range rods for loading of SB pistol. This will never be a speed event, and I think it's wise to allow a range rod with a proper handle, instead of a narrow ramrod that would do serious damage to a shooter's hand.

MR. GADGET
07-07-2015, 11:30 AM
I haven't seen one yet.

For the record, I think the N-SSA needs to permit range rods for loading of SB pistol. This will never be a speed event, and I think it's wise to allow a range rod with a proper handle, instead of a narrow ramrod that would do serious damage to a shooter's hand.

Still did not see what rules they plan to follow on these.
Rods, type and size along with trigger weight and other specs.

efritz
07-07-2015, 12:08 PM
To all,

I'm not an IG or small arms person but I did propose the SB or horse pistol competition to the BOD. In general the rules as I submitted follow the SB musket and revolver rules with some exceptions. Here follows what I think I know.
Horse pistols HP can have 2.5 # trigger pull.
I didn't think load stands were permitted but several were noted being used at the last Nat'ls. Can't understand why one wouldn't be permitted but I thought it was a rule. Just maybe not being enforced in May. No biggee anyhow.
A wooden dowel, 1/2" is good, can be used. No additional metal to the dowel or balls or knobs on top to aid in ramming. Home Depots sell short pieces. The attached ramrod can be used but it cannot be attached to the firearm when loading.
Targets are 25 and 50 yd. revolver targets.
Obviously no team events.
Follow safety as for SB musket and revolver.

The HF SB pistol was approved by the BOD and began selling at the Nat'ls. I'm waiting for mine too.

This was proposed to increase participation, aid income, no additional time to the schedule, medals unclassified and amount to be determined according to participation percentages, and for us to have more fun. This is in its infancy and progressing. Scores are going up ever so slowly. So get in on the fun.

As with anything. If you would like to change something or add something, propose it through your Cmdr. and Regional Cmdr. Once it passes there the BOD will have to make a decision. Don't try to make rules here on the BB. Follow protocol and things will get done. My proposal is living proof. I wanted to shoot HP. I didn't know who or how many others wanted to. I followed protocol and evidently the BOD agreed and others are getting in on the action.

Have fun and be safe
Eric

Michael Bodner
07-07-2015, 12:33 PM
Full set of rules for Single-Shot pistols is being presented to the BOD in the August meeting (both percussion and flintlock).

MR. GADGET
07-07-2015, 01:41 PM
Full set of rules for Single-Shot pistols is being presented to the BOD in the August meeting (both percussion and flintlock).

Good to hear.
I remember the talk at spring national that some were told the trigger must be that of the musket and others told 3 lb was fine .

Wonder if there as ever any thought about breaking out the rules per gun and having a spot on the site that you could click on to get all the rules and regs for shooting SB pistol for say.

Everything in one package.

What this would do is make it easy to get the info.
Click on Musket and everything there for new shooters from shooting paper to targets, along with what guns and trigger pull and so on.

One click and print all the info for the gun of choice.
Make it easier than flipping to all the pages and trying to find it as a.new shooter.

Michael Bodner
07-07-2015, 02:20 PM
John,

Already there. See the Index for "Trigger pull" and then look at 21.8.1.m and n. Basically, (as of now) all long arms = 3#. All hand-guns 2#. Proposed Smoothbore pistol is 2#

For the Single-Shot, it will be in Section 20: Loading and Clearing Small arms

MR. GADGET
08-12-2015, 01:00 PM
The other day I get home and find a package.....

Both my guns showed up and they look real nice.
Cant wait to get them to tye range and see how they shoot.

I have a big question about the barrel.
The Breech looks to have a powder chamber, almost a cone like what the mortars use.
When I was looking it over and playing with it I also found something funny.
The drum if that is what you call it that screws into the barrel extended into the barrel on both to the point it sticks out and catches the jag or patch holder on the rod.
Should it be sticking Inside the barrel like this or does it need to be shortened some.
I see it causing a few problems with cleaning it good and maybe if build up changing the size of the powder chamber.
Looks like there is a shoulder for the ball and and a powder chamber so you can not compress the powder.

Anyone else looked at their gun or does anyone have prints for the breech area of these guns as to the design or chamber size?

efritz
08-12-2015, 03:17 PM
I too got mine last week. Went to the range. Nothing to be impressed about yet. Tried 10 with 26 28 &30 gr. 3f GOEX w/Alox. 10 w/30gr. 3f GOEX and my personal lube. All these with a lightly roughed ball. 10 w/30 gr. 2F Swiss/Alox and smooth ball. Nothing to right home about. Came home and cleaned it. Stripped it down all the way, lock and all. Lightened the trigger a tad. Noticed the same as you did. There seems to be a powder chamber and a ridge at the bottom of the barrel that won't let the ball sit on the powder. Pulled the drum and nipple, cleaned the chamber as well as possible. Looks as if there's a breach plug but it isn't coming out with anything I own. Guess I'll just keep on plugging away.

MR. GADGET
08-12-2015, 03:52 PM
What size ball you use?

efritz
08-12-2015, 04:00 PM
Lyman .54RB. They only make one. Comes out about .535

Jim Leinicke 7368V
08-12-2015, 09:38 PM
A lot of drum and nipple conversions of these pistols were hurriedly done and the drums do thread into the bore. If your gun is that way, then you have to do something about it. Pull the drum and dress it up so that it does not protrude. Or, gripe to Pedersoli. There is a right way and a wrong way to do these things.

Jim Leinicke

MR. GADGET
08-12-2015, 10:40 PM
Yep
I just spent 925 on two of them and both will need work and have the drum cut down.

I wish it did not need work to make it shoot and safe but is the way it is.

I was more thinking about if people see the same as me ane plan to cut down the drum or not and if the gun that was looked at was that way when the NSSA gave it the ok.

John Holland
08-13-2015, 01:58 PM
The N-SSA's Small Arms Committee (SAC) does not disassemble arms, which are submitted for Production Approval, into their component parts as a part of the inspection process.

John Holland
Chairman, SAC

MR. GADGET
08-13-2015, 03:57 PM
Im planning to use a oak 1/2" rod for loading.
As someone told me they are fine yet no ball or handle can be used or any brass, caps, ends or so on.

MR. GADGET
08-13-2015, 04:00 PM
The N-SSA's Small Arms Committee (SAC) does not disassemble arms, which are submitted for Production Approval, into their component parts as a part of the inspection process.

John Holland
Chairman, SAC

Understand that.

I seen mine looking down the barrel. Can see threads from the drum inside the barrel chamber area.
I have done nothing yet other then open the box.

John, do you see it a big problem? Should I be calling DP to let them know or is it normal for a drum to stick in the chamber some?

Maillemaker
08-13-2015, 04:21 PM
Well, I would think it would at the minimum cause problems in cleaning with a jag. Jag would collide with the threaded portion sticking into the breech, possibly denting it and closing up the fire channel. Maybe if you clean with a mop you could avoid that problem.

Depending on how much powder you put in, the ball might even hit it and get dented during loading, which would not be nice for accuracy.

I suppose the best fix would be to remove the breech plug and bore the thing out with the threads in place, cutting them flush with the bore.

Steve

Don Branch 12592
08-13-2015, 09:45 PM
Im planning to use a oak 1/2" rod for loading.
As someone told me they are fine yet no ball or handle can be used or any brass, caps, ends or so on.

Why not use the rod that came with the gun?

MR. GADGET
08-13-2015, 10:07 PM
Why not use the rod that came with the gun?

They are very weak and break easy. One of mine was broke when I got it.
Add on they are threaded on both ends and made to have a bullet jag or loading handle and ball that we can not use just does not work.

Mike McDaniel
08-14-2015, 02:31 PM
Which is why I think the rules should be amended to allow a proper range rod to be used with the single-shot pistols.

Wooden ramrods are generally considered unsafe. If one splits, you have a sharp object sticking up at precisely the moment when you are bringing your hand down. The metal ramrods are FAR safer. The only objection to using one for musket has been that a dedicated range rod might be faster to load and constitute an unfair advantage. In the case of the single-shot pistols, everybody is starting on a level playing field...and the later single-shot pistols had captive ramrods on a swivel. Think about the safety implications of that. Think hard.

The N-SSA has always put safety first. Yes, ahead of authenticity. Which is why I'd both permit and encourage range rods for single-shot pistol.

P.Altland
08-14-2015, 07:35 PM
A muzzleloader is a muzzleloader is a muzzleloader. If your saying that somehow a splintered wooden rammer is gonna pierce your hand "crucifixion style", then your not following safe and clearly defined loading procedures. Also clearly defined is that rammers on swivels cannot be used. It's a mute point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Holland
08-14-2015, 08:16 PM
The Agenda Packet for the recent August Board meeting included a set of rules for competition with single shot pistols, which was passed unanimously at the meeting. All Region Commanders have a copy, as do many Unit Commanders by now.