PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Glossary of Line Expressions

Eggman
04-29-2015, 10:04 AM
Many skirmishers find it difficult to find a proper expression to use when experiencing a blown shot. I find myself reverting back to common expressions used in the Vietnam era. These were highly adaptable expressions used in most every sentence in those days, but are now deemed not socially acceptable, not even in revolver competition. I'd noticed that at times several of my old Iredell Blues team mates actually had their hair standing on end (sideways -- the part sticking out from under their hats) when I used expressive terms to describe my less than stalwart shooting.
So I'm wondering -- what are some of the expressions used by skirmishers to express discontent these days - you know, the kind that can be used in mixed company (Whoops! too chauvanistic), I mean that kind that can be used so that no one of any political, religious, or sexual orientation is rendered uncomfortable. I thought if we listed them here it would be a good reference for all folks prticipating in the shooting sports. Or any sports for that matter. It would also be morally uplifting.

Mark Morton
04-29-2015, 12:01 PM
"Son of a mother puss-bucket" is pretty much my go to curse when I don't want to really swear, but if I was actually facing the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man I might use other expletives (Bill Murray in Ghost Busters if you don't get the obscure reference).

Lou Lou Lou
04-29-2015, 12:14 PM
Have no need for expletives, thanks.

Eggman
04-29-2015, 02:25 PM
"Son of a mother puss-bucket" is pretty much my go to curse when I don't want to really swear, but if I was actually facing the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man I might use other expletives (Bill Murray in Ghost Busters if you don't get the obscure reference).
You mean like "I feel so funky."

Eggman
04-30-2015, 12:12 PM
Only two other suggestions received so far: AS IF!!!! and PUH-LEEEZE!!! I believe these were west coast suggestions. I don't know if they'll cut it next to what I've been using.

brimorse
04-30-2015, 03:09 PM
Having children at home, I try not to curse very often. So a few of mine would be "mother of freedom", "shut the front door" and "Eiiiiiii!" (pronounced eye).

Many skirmishers find it difficult to find a proper expression to use when experiencing a blown shot. I find myself reverting back to common expressions used in the Vietnam era. These were highly adaptable expressions used in most every sentence in those days, but are now deemed not socially acceptable, not even in revolver competition. I'd noticed that at times several of my old Iredell Blues team mates actually had their hair standing on end (sideways -- the part sticking out from under their hats) when I used expressive terms to describe my less than stalwart shooting.
So I'm wondering -- what are some of the expressions used by skirmishers to express discontent these days - you know, the kind that can be used in mixed company (Whoops! too chauvanistic), I mean that kind that can be used so that no one of any political, religious, or sexual orientation is rendered uncomfortable. I thought if we listed them here it would be a good reference for all folks prticipating in the shooting sports. Or any sports for that matter. It would also be morally uplifting.

Maillemaker
04-30-2015, 04:43 PM
I've been thinking about this thread. I think I seldom say much when I miss. I think a few times I've said, "Man, I thought I had that one!" but most of the time I'm too busy getting loaded up to give it to 'em again! :)

Now when I hit 'em I make all kinds of noises. :)

Steve

Robt. Propst
04-30-2015, 06:27 PM
To quote Don "Pappy" Pritchett when someone was belaboring a missed shot, "Shut up and shoot!" Nuff said.

MR. GADGET
04-30-2015, 07:24 PM
Those days when you are not shooting good...

Mine has always been
Time to Reach for another can of U Such Beer..
For those days when you really Suck.

jonk
04-30-2015, 07:45 PM
I frequently will say "Damn, that felt so good too!"

That said, if after I've missed 4 or 5 times in a row, unless I'm shooting next to a woman or minor, I will say exactly what's on my mind, say it once as an expletive, and move on.

For instance, we had a few choice words for this one on breechloader at early bird.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a67/jonklei/SAM_1885_zpsdz2jr9xf.jpg (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/jonklei/media/SAM_1885_zpsdz2jr9xf.jpg.html)

Eggman
04-30-2015, 08:17 PM
To quote Don "Pappy" Pritchett when someone was belaboring a missed shot, "Shut up and shoot!" Nuff said.

Yeah I heard that one more than once. I recall the time Pappy's Jaeger wouldn't go off at the start of a natl. musket match. After cycling thru a few caps he just stood there monk like, stoically glaring at the falling pigeon shards, much like your Jack Russell eyeballing a nest full of squirming baby rats.