PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts on stances

jonk
04-28-2015, 10:23 AM
So as near as I can figure, there are basically two offhand stances favored by shooters.

1. Probably 75% seem to favor what's essentially a shotgun hold, with the supporting arm extended most of the way and the trigger arm raised. The advantages of this would be:
-Faster acquisition of the target.
-Support of the gun at a point where flame from the cap won't sting the hand.
-Ability to dig the gun into the shoulder harder for those guns that like that.
-Supporting the gun closer to its natural point of balance, especially on 3 band guns.

Disadvantages include:
-It's inherently less stable than the high power style, arm against the ribcage shoot, as it relies on all stability coming solely from arm strength. As such it's also more tiring.
-For some carbines, the hand is uncomfortably close to the muzzle.

2. The remaining 25% or so favor what's essentially a high power stance, with the supporting arm resting on the ribcage and the hand resting on the rear of the forearm right in front of the trigger guard.
Advantages:
-By using the body's stability you aren't tiring your arm at all.
-As fewer muscles are involved, it's probably inherently more stable.

Disadvantages:
-If you aren't wearing gloves the flame from the cap can bite you.
-Slower target acquisition
-While a more stable shooting platform in general, the torque of the heavy slow moving bullet is more liable to make the barrel jump without a steadying hand firmly forward. Wind (if applicable) can also pull the barrel around more.

So essentially it comes down to a question of slightly greater theoretical stability and less muscle fatigue versus faster control and better wind control.

Now for myself, I find that I go back and forth between the two. Carbine is always the high power stance as they balance well and aren't long enough for the wind to really pull them around. Smoothbore is usually the arm forward postion as they are too nose heavy. For the 2 band musket though, I'm on the fence. Sometimes I get better results one way, sometimes the other.

Just giving thoughts here. I see shooters do well both ways.

R. McAuley 3014V
04-29-2015, 01:00 PM
Jonk,

You should try the offhand stance where your supporting arm is stretched almost as far as one can reach under the rifle (on a 2-band, its usually out to the nosecap). Other arm at least parallel with the ground if not cocked higher to create a pocket to receive the butt. Essentially, with this hold, you should be able to support the rifle's weight with just two fingers, one near the muzzle, the other just in front or through the trigger-guard. Wrapping the other digits around the piece is just for added stability. Personally, I curl my little finger into my trigger hand as it helps to put more strength into my trigger finger. Just something I learned when shooting for the Army

jonk
04-29-2015, 09:35 PM
I would say that's covered by my first method.

Whatever works for you, use it. I hold a gun that far out, the lack of stability and muscle fatigue... well let's put it this way. I can see the muzzle wobbling all over the target board.

If someone wants to test this, try both holds pointing at a doorknob in your house and see which has less movement, and which you can hold on target for 5 minutes without tiring.

As I said I DO see advantages to this hold, just that I am realistic in its effectiveness; I would never use it on a moskeet or something, it's just too unstable for me.

Mike Rouch 07791
04-30-2015, 09:05 AM
I have no door knobs, I shot them all. Wife is still mad.

Timmeu
05-02-2015, 10:52 AM
I have no door knobs, I shot them all. Wife is still mad.

This is true. They have pull strings on all the doors. Brenda can change them in about 2 minutes.