PDA

View Full Version : "M" on 1842 Musket

Gary/CO
04-25-2015, 04:15 PM
I have in my possession a 1842 Musket made at Harper's Ferry (1844). It belongs to Francisco's Fort Museum (http://franciscofort.org/) in La Veta, CO. The barrel was shortened down to 32" and distance from the front band to the center band is so short that the retaining spring could not be used. Instead, the front band is secured by a nail.

Broken at the wrist/tang, it was mended with seven nails. Another three nails were placed around the tail of the lockplate to keep that in place. Additionally, some well meaning but ignorant individual painted all the metal brown color.

My question concerns the stamping on the stock. There is a large capital "M" stamped on both sides of the stock near the buttplate. Anybody know what that "M" signifies? I didn't see anything in Whisker's book, The Southern Arsenal. Thanks.

Maillemaker
04-26-2015, 09:03 AM
"Mangled"? :D

I have no idea.

Steve

John Holland
04-26-2015, 10:29 AM
Gary - Unfortunately, I believe the "M" shall remain a "Mystery"! OK, pun sort of intended. BUT, what I do think is that what you have is a Confederate battlefield salvaged musket. Some years ago the N-SSA's Small Arms Committee did a study of some of these arms, specifically the Model 1842 series of battlefield salvaged arms. Your example is one of the "typical" types of alteration where the barrel was shortened to where it was serviceable, and the front band moved back accordingly. Originally the front band would have been held in place with a small round head wood screw. Your example also shows many years of hard use after the Civil War. That it was a very important possession to the probably dirt poor ex-Confederate family who used it for small game hunting is more than obvious as shown by the extreme measures to be kept in service which it now exhibits, such as being held together by nails. A piece of American history with a fascinating story locked within its well worn exterior!

Gary/CO
04-26-2015, 11:28 AM
Thanks everyone. Unfortunately the family that donated the object decades ago never provided a history behind it.

Curt
04-26-2015, 01:52 PM
Hallo!

There is no official (known to me) arsenal, armory, or maker marking like that.

Were it to be carved, i would have looked toward a 'surplus' personalization during the War or or take-home after. A stamp seems to speak towards something "formal," possibly a militia type thing or even once upon a time. may be a cut-down military school affectation.

I suspect its meaning or significance is "lost to history."

Curt