PDA

View Full Version : WTB Carry Case for 3 band musket

Jppard
03-27-2015, 08:53 AM
I want to buy a carry case that I can use to take my 3 band Enfield musket on a airplane. Of course I don't want to spend a fortune.

J.M. Perry

Lou Lou Lou
03-27-2015, 09:38 AM
The USIMLT used to have these welded aluminum cases which locked. expensive 30 years ago. I would not trust anything plastic on a plave. Too easy to cut open. My 2 cents

Ron/The Old Reb
03-28-2015, 04:58 AM
Spend the extra money and buy a good aluminum one. When I flew to Africa I bought a new aluminum one. When I got back it looked like it had gone through a war. The badge handlers must have really thru it around.

John Bly
03-28-2015, 08:21 AM
Would you rather buy a good case or another rifle? Think about this for a while and it may make your decision easier. A case for a 3 band Enfield will be hard to find. I think you'll need to go to a welded aluminum case as I don't think plastic ones are that long. Try Bear Country Containers, Highway Products or Fuerte Cases. A Google search should find them. You'll probably have to get it custom made that long so be prepared for sticker shock.

bobanderson
03-28-2015, 09:23 PM
I want to buy a carry case that I can use to take my 3 band Enfield musket on a airplane. Of course I don't want to spend a fortune.

J.M. Perry

I have two (and possibly more) hard cases that were designed for shipping instruments. They measure 3 1/2" x 8 1/2" x 63 1/2", have a carry handle and 6 sturdy latches that hold the top to the case. They have aluminum angle iron and hard plastic construction with egg crate and other shaped foam padding. With the addition of a couple of hasps, they should be sturdy enough for an airplane.

Price will be $75 each, plus shipping, or I can deliver them to the Spring Nationals for inspection before you purchase.

I took some pictures, including one with my H&P smooth bore in it, but they were too large to upload to the forum. Send me a PM with an email address and I'll be glad to send them to anyone interested in them.

bobanderson
03-29-2015, 08:19 AM
I took some pictures, including one with my H&P smooth bore in it, but they were too large to upload to the forum. Send me a PM with an email address and I'll be glad to send them to anyone interested in them.

Figured out how to attach pictures.

Lou Lou Lou
03-29-2015, 11:54 AM
Can you lock the latches? Needed for airport, otherwise you end up with an empty case.

bobanderson
03-29-2015, 12:27 PM
No, the latches are the type that you twist to tighten them. There are 3 on each side. To make them safe in shipping, you would need to rivet some lockable latches or hasps or whatever. I got them because they are great for transporting my long guns in the back of a pickup or in a trailer compartment.

I only suggested these because a) they are a lot less expensive than a commercially produced case and b) I had them laying about. No big deal either way.

RaiderANV
03-30-2015, 12:51 AM
Yes it must be locking case before they will take it at the airport. That looks like one heck of a solid case and would e way easy to add two hasps and matching padlocks for travel.