PDA

View Full Version : What is the best minis for Common Rifle?

B-Davis
03-16-2015, 06:07 PM
When it rains, it pours! In 24 hours, I have acquired two Common Rifles. Both are .54 caliber, original bores. One is flint, the other is a drum conversion. I am going to use round ball for the flint gun, but what minie would work best for the percussion model? I also have a Rapine .69 caliber mould for trade if someone has the right minie mould for the Common rifle.

thanks!
bryan

John Holland
03-17-2015, 08:51 AM
Bryan - The original .54 caliber bore of a M-1817 Common Rifle is designed for a heavily patched round ball, hence the very deep grooves. The original U.S. Government round ball bullet mould casts a .526 diameter ball. Personally, I never had any success with getting hollow based projectile to fill the grooves enough to get any consistent accuracy out of it. Perhaps some others will weigh in, but that was my experience.

As you have noted, many of the existing 1817 Common Rifles have been "shot-gunned", so if you have anything with an original bore I would encourage you to preserve it!

B-Davis
03-17-2015, 12:12 PM
John,

I hope that you are well today! Thank you for the response. I was thinking of maybe the RCBS .54 cal adjustable base. What are your thoughts?I
s there anybody who makes a larger diameter base plug? Id use the .58 cal Hodgon minie with a larger plug and all of my rifles drive tacks with that.

Bryan