PDA

View Full Version : F/S M1860 Spencer Carbine

Jack C., 69th NY
03-16-2015, 04:11 PM
1860 Spencer Carbine, Serial number is missing from both receiver and the barrel under the forearm. The receiver serial number has been replaced with an unknown marking. The block, barrel, forearm and hammer are all marked with same flower like stamping or proof or inspectors mark. No proof can be offered as to the true origin of these markings. The Spencer Shooting Society ok' d me using a link showing detailed photos of the unknown markings: http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,50075.0.html I can supply additional photos by email.

I will have the carbine at the Baltimore show this coming weekend. I prefer to sell this in a face to face in order to avoid any questions or misgivings at a later date. The Spencer markings are very clear. The bore is in good condition with 6 groove rifling. The butt stock has a split or check on the left side running the length of the magazine tube. There is a chip out of the lockplate beneath the hammer. If it does not sell this weekend, I will bring it to the Nationals in May. Because of it's unique markings this carbine might be more a collectrors' item as opposed to a shooter.

R. McAuley 3014V
03-18-2015, 07:22 PM
Serial number on top of receiver appears to beHindu-Arabic numerals for the number "7000". The numeral “7” being the numeral on the right,is read first (in reverse order); followed by the numeral for “1000” on the left (looks like a capital "T"), read last. SeeTable 24 at the link below:
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/22599/22599-h/22599-h.htm

Jack C., 69th NY
03-19-2015, 10:05 AM
Richard, Thanks for that information. There were Spencers that went to France, Russia and Japan. There is probably a history somewhere but so far it has not come to light, as far as I can determine. If someone wants to take a look at this Spencer carbine, it will be at the Baltimore show this weekend. Reach me on my cell.

B-Davis
03-19-2015, 11:57 AM
I had seen one many years ago with the same marks, and I was told by a knowledgeable source that these were Nepalese. They were US produced and sent to Nepal.

I could also be completely wring, but it is a possible source.

Bryan