PDA

View Full Version : Maynard ammo

R Filbert
03-11-2015, 09:03 PM
Just a thought- And checking to see if ant one has tried this bullet in a Maynard before, I have a .518 dia. Wilkinson bullet mold that I cast a hand full of bullets out of and found that they fit a Maynard cartridge like a glove - When put in all the way they almost look like the real thing -never tied it before but it looks good. I have a first mod with a Bly barrel on it if it shoots as good in a carbine as it does a musket might be on to something. Any input?

bobanderson
03-12-2015, 06:04 AM
What does your Wilkinson bullet weigh? Did you cast from pure lead like you would for a muzzleloader, or did you try casting from something harder? I'd be interested in seeing what results you get with this. I shoot a Romano 1st Model and have been trying to find a better bullet/powder combination.

Interestingly enough, I have a set of clamp on scope mounts that allow me to use a Unertl scope on my Maynard for load development, range testing, etc. You know the drill. Last group I tested this way put 3 shots into 1 hole and the other two made the group about 1 1/2".3100

fullertc
03-12-2015, 06:25 AM
Bob! How's that setup work on chickens? Looks ideal!

R Filbert
03-20-2015, 09:49 PM
The lead I use Bob is pure soft bullet dia is .518-9 I weighed it the other day but the weight slips my mine rite now -going to try it out this weekend and see what it does the barrel is a 26 inch Bly barrel lightly lubed bullet but I don't think the lube is going to be a problem as the bullet already fits the bore tight but it looks real good in a case! I am using 24 grains O 3f goex as per Johns thoughts, it should do well I suppose. Hey neat scope mount The other fellow was asking if it would kill chickens I believe it will take out any thing you want with it. R Filbert7519V

bobanderson
03-21-2015, 01:56 AM
Bob! How's that setup work on chickens? Looks ideal!

We'll have to try that, Tom.

bobanderson
03-21-2015, 01:59 AM
The lead I use Bob is pure soft bullet dia is .518-9 I weighed it the other day but the weight slips my mine rite now -going to try it out this weekend and see what it does the barrel is a 26 inch Bly barrel lightly lubed bullet but I don't think the lube is going to be a problem as the bullet already fits the bore tight but it looks real good in a case! I am using 24 grains O 3f goex as per Johns thoughts, it should do well I suppose. Hey neat scope mount The other fellow was asking if it would kill chickens I believe it will take out any thing you want with it. R Filbert7519V

Tom was referring to 200 meter offhand chickens in Black Powder Cartridge Rifle silhouette. If you've never tried it, it takes offhand to a whole new level.

WBR10654
03-21-2015, 02:38 PM
Tom was referring to 200 meter offhand chickens in Black Powder Cartridge Rifle silhouette. If you've never tried it, it takes offhand to a whole new level.

I have hit a foot metal target 50% off the bench at 200 meters with my normal load and open sights...

YES, when looking at me aiming you would think I was pointing at the sky....

I was just fooling around and never expected to hit the thing....

That is when I realized at Dr. Maynard was a real rifle maker....

DPB

R Filbert
03-22-2015, 08:31 PM
Hey guys heres one for yall - We had a 200yd match years back that me and Mike McB won for Jim Landers I hit an 8 inch gong 7 times in a row off hand at 200 the 8th one hit the fire hose holding the gong a twelve O clock 1 inch above and a 47 out of 50, if I am not mistaken, with a 3 band Springfield. I would like to see more long range matches. Any body out there with me! And the yanks said they could not hit an Elephant at that distance but that was a lot farther I think 800 + and he aint breathin no more!