PDA

View Full Version : Load Tubes for an 1851 Navy .36.

mpapajoffre
02-28-2015, 01:52 PM
I just purchased a Uberti London model Navy revolver and I need load tubes for it for use at the Fort. Can someone please school me on what I need and where to buy it?

Lou Lou Lou
02-28-2015, 07:01 PM
Small plastic vials with stoppers. I had a bunch from a laboratory long ago.

R. McAuley 3014V
02-28-2015, 11:32 PM
I use 1.0-mL sterile cryogenic clear plastic vials with an external screw cap that can hold up to 1 dram (27.34375 grains) of FFFg powder. Unlike some other plastic loading tubes, these laboratory vials have caps that screw down air-tight and keeps the powder dry, and even floats if dropped in a puddle. Having see-through sides readily assures that every grain goes where it was intended (into the chamber) and doesn’t simply cling to the inside of the tube because of static buildup. At the time I ordered the Vangard Cryos 1-mL vials they were bought in bulk so the price was about 30 cents per hundred. I kept 50 and sold the rest at gun shows and other shooters. As I understand from one supplier, the Vangard Cryos 1-mL vial are no longer made by that manufacturer but a very similar vial is available at the link below for 42 cents each per 500 bulk, and is available with colored caps which I imagine would be ideal if you load for more than one revolver or use different charges for 25 and 50 yards.

http://www.freundcontainer.com/sterile-cryogenic-graduated-plastic-vials-pp/p/v1671B01/

Carolina Reb
03-01-2015, 04:20 PM
I use 30 cal fired cases, 308, 30-06, Krag, etc. 1/4" cap plugs fit the necks perfectly. Pull the plugs and dump a case in each chamber. When you have six cases sticking out of the cylinder, you're charged.