PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Maynard shells?

gmkmd
02-28-2015, 08:00 AM
Has anyone tried the machined aluminum Maynard shells that Charlie Hahn makes?

John Bly
02-28-2015, 08:19 AM
I've shot some of them and they are OK but they have some issues. Aluminum does not have the natural springback that brass does and after several firings you'll find that the cases have expanded where they are the thinnest. If you size then after each firing they will soon crack from fatigue, You can't anneal them. The earliest ones were too thin from the head to the combustion chamber and the flash hole burned out but he has corrected this. They won't be as long lasting as brass cases will be. Spend the difference and get his reduced capacity brass cases and they will last you for many years.

I used aluminum cases in my Smith for 20 years with no problems. The Maynard cases are much thinner and less durable from a design standpoint and the aluminum simply won't last as long as good brass cases.

Lou Lou Lou
02-28-2015, 10:06 AM
Glenn Rohde on my team had them made up for one of his guns. They were sized to that chamber. Shoot him a message

Rich Foster
03-02-2015, 08:45 PM
I have been shooting Mr. Hahn's Aluminum Maynard cases in my model 1 Maynard for 3 years. They were machined to fit my Maynard's head space. After 3 years 1 case out of 125 split at the opening and Mr. Hahn gave me a new one. I just bought 100 more because it is very hard to find someone that will machine a maynard case to the size of the intended head space. I had have no problem with holes in cases opening up. This will be my 4th year using the same 125 cases with no problems with cases. One caution do not soak aluminum cases in dish soap like in a jug while at a skirmish the acid with pit the aluminum. Rich

YOU DON'T KNOW ?
03-02-2015, 09:43 PM
The head space on a 1st model is adjustable! You don't have to have special cartridge cases made. g pope wbr

Bruce Cobb 1723V
03-03-2015, 11:21 AM
The head space on a 1st model is adjustable! You don't have to have special cartridge cases made. g pope wbr

You must be lucky to have an ORIGINAL one then, not a repro.

WBR10654
03-03-2015, 11:30 AM
I was wondering how much they cost?

DPB

YOU DON'T KNOW ?
03-03-2015, 04:06 PM
You might call it luck. I call it good judgement.

Jim Wimbish, 10395
03-03-2015, 06:54 PM
While the Romano First Model Maynards cannot be adjusted in the same manner as an original. there is a removable block in the Romano Maynard that sets the head space. By changing these blocks, you can change the head space. Larry Romano can work with you on doing this, and I can think of at least two other gentlemen who work on Maynards who could also do the job.

YOU DON'T KNOW ?
03-03-2015, 08:02 PM
One would think that @3850 dollars a copy, the head space would be correct from the factory. The cartridge tubes that everyone sells has a rim thickness of .032. These fit comfortably in all 2nd models which are not adjustable. All originals I meant to say. Just saying....

Jim Wimbish, 10395
03-03-2015, 08:47 PM
I have a Romano First Model and Second Model and I use the same cases in them that I do in original Maynards. All of these guns headspace to .032", just like the originals. I use two different cases: full capacity and reduced capacity and I have never had headspace issues with either of the Romano Maynards with these brass cases. If however, someone feels that making the headspace .001" tighter is better, then the headspace can easily be tightened up by using a .001" larger block on the First Model. By using the sized blocks which are held in place by a single screw, you can easily change headspace with precision.

YOU DON'T KNOW ?
03-03-2015, 09:24 PM
I bought one of the aforementioned carbines once that had a head space of .039 and was told to get proper cartridge cases for it. Just saying...

RaiderANV
03-03-2015, 11:40 PM
It's nice to know that when the link & screws all wear from use that the Romano First Model is adjustable.
Being most originals worth shooting are $4500 and wayyyy up,,,,$3850 for all the years of
shooting enjoyment to come is a bargain. Just saying......

YOU DON'T KNOW ?
03-04-2015, 10:01 AM
Go for it!:confused: As Bill O'reilly would say , I'll give you the last word.