PDA

View Full Version : Armisport 1861 Springfield Stainless Steel

CAGerringer
02-21-2015, 10:42 AM
Does anyone have any experience with an Armisport 1861, Stainless Steel, Springfield?
Curious about how the stainless performs compared to a regular steel rifle.
Thanks,
Charlie Gerringer
Old Dominion Dragoons

williamslaybaugh
02-21-2015, 03:04 PM
When you Google Armisport 1861 Springfield Stainless Steel, the only one that pops up is the one on Gun Broker that you're bidding on. I'm thinking that there's not going to be to many folks with experience on stainless steel springfields if Armisport only made one, or it's been mislabeled by the seller. If I were you I would contact the seller to see if they know what there talking about. Deliberate or not it's not an accurate description of the item and I'm thinking not what you were expecting and hoping to hear. I would then retract my bid.

John Holland
02-21-2015, 03:12 PM
The Small Arms Committee has no knowledge of any ArmiSport Chiappa M-1861 Rifle Muskets made out of stainless steel, barrels, parts, or otherwise.

John Holland
Chairman, SAC

Curt
02-21-2015, 04:02 PM
Hallo!

Obviously I do not know, but...

IMHO I believe someone is looking at the "burnished" satiny brushed type finish the Italians were using and thought it was stainless steel.

Curt

CAGerringer
02-26-2015, 10:39 PM
Big Thanks goes out to Williamslaybaugh, John Holland, and Curt Schmidt! You guys saved me a lot of heartburn...and some $ to boot!

You can't buy the knowledge that's on this site.

Thanks, again.

Charlie Gerringer
Old Dominion Dragoons

bobanderson
02-27-2015, 07:23 AM
Another easy test is to put a magnet on the barrel. Stainless steel has a very high nickel content which causes a magnet to attach very loosely or sometimes not at all. If if attaches with full force, you have a brightly polished barrel.