PDA

View Full Version : Some musket questions...........

glenhunter
02-15-2015, 11:33 PM
I own and shoot an 1853 Pedersoli Enfield and am thinking about purchasing a mint Springfield to shoot as well. My questions are .........how many of you own and shoot more than one musket. Secondly, which would be your choice a Pedersoli Enfield or Armisport Springfield? Lastly, would one of your muskets get relegated to back up duties? These would both be live fired at N-SSA matches. Thank you for your responses.

regards
gh

Joe Plakis, 9575V
02-16-2015, 06:32 AM
In choosing between a Springfield and Enfield the #1 difference will be the drop in the stock and the way the Musket Holds. I used to shoot an Enfield and my face would look like I went 10 rounds with a professional boxer when I was done shooting it. The reason is because an Enfield is best designed to shoot off of the bicep, not the shoulder. The Springfield holds best from the shoulder, and most firearms have that nice drop in the stock, which is comfortable to most of us. So the first thing you will have to see is which feels better when you shoulder it.

Now as for having more than one musket.... any body who states they have more than one risks their significant other reading this post. So I will say yes I own "two" muskets and both are ready for skirmishing. I know I try to stick with one musket for the season, but at times will just feel the urge to shoot the other. It is always good to have a backup plan, and as long as you know where to aim, there really is no difference in what you shoot as long as you practice with both.

Eggman
02-16-2015, 09:58 AM
Concur with everything Joe said pretty much - haven't really had an issue with cheek abuse problem with my Euroarms Enfield. It probably has something to do with the shape of the shooter's head.
The other major difference I see is the rear sight location. With the Springfield you must be careful that the rear sight blade does not hit you in the eye upon recoil. And as you get older it becomes impossible to see. Most old codgers install peep sights to compensate for the blurry mess the rear sight has become. I'm not a great lover of the peep sight except on the M-1.
Other than shape, the other downside for the Enfield is it's pretty heavy (mine is a three band), at least the Euroarms version. It compensates somewhat for this by being pinpoint accurate with its wonderful ramped rear sight and using a .575 old style mini from a Lyman mould/35 grains fffg.
My "other" musket is a Zoli Zouave.

ms3635v
02-16-2015, 10:51 AM
I shoot a two band Springfield copied from a Razeed Richmond conversion with a Whitacre barrel that I use as my primary skirmish rifle. I have a Zoli Zouave with a Whitacre barrel set-up and ready to go if I need a back-up. Both are .577" and both shoot the Moose Wilkinson with 40 grains of GOEX 3F. I learned a long time ago to have a second firearm ready to use.

Curt
02-16-2015, 11:55 AM
Hallo!

Having once been a gun-builder, I always had a dozen or so to pick from. ;) :)

But, for me personally, it was "more complicated" than just the stock drop and flat butt plate versus curved of an "Enfield" versus a "Springfield." In my own shooting "evolution," and a good many of my unit for years.. there was always the Quest for the Holy Grail going on where we sought the ultimate gun to shoot that we would/could shoot the very best. Some considerations were how I or we shot with:

1. Enfield versus Springfield butt plate and stock drop
2. Length: rifle-musket versus "artillery rifle" versus rifle
3. Weight: rifle-musket versus "artillery rifle" versus rifle
4. Sights: long range versus short range configurations. 'V" notch versus "patridge' versus "peep"
5. Front sights: wide or narrow blade
6. Rifling rate and type
7. Minie type and weight
8. Rate of fire: "three band" versus "two band."
9. Shooting stance or position

and for me, being left-handed, but right eye dominant:

10. Right handed lock "distractions' in the form of hammer movement and flash causing flinching.

After about a dozen "experiments" with different guns over the years, I finally found that for me the optimum I could find and do well or better with was either a Richmond RM or a late type M1855 RM.

Because it can be a personal thing, others' mileage will vary... :) :)

Curt

ian45662
02-16-2015, 02:42 PM
I have an armi sport enfield and I have handled and shot the pedersoli enfield. They dont feel like the same gun. For me the pedersoli is a more comfortable gun to shoot than the armi sport version that I have. If someone were to lay before me an armi sport 1861 and a pedersoli 1853 and told me to pick one I would without hesitation gofer the pedersoli

Rob FreemanWBR
02-16-2015, 03:06 PM
gh,

I own quite a few muskets, but only shoot ONE for skirmishes, and to be honest I haven't had the opportunity to "work up" a back up piece. Divine providence has saw fit to exempt me from having to consider a second rifle/musket thus far.

Having your musket sighted in (optimally point-of-aim = point-of-impact) is key and should be your desired end result.

There is no "real" reason to have different muskets for various events/weather conditions etc, unless you just like cleaning different pieces and can adjust with different arms/loads (too much work, too complicated, too many variables)... When I mentioned the notion of having alternate rifles, a sage old veteran skirmisher just smiled, shook his head and simply said, "Beware the man with one gun, he knows how to use it." That was all I needed to hear on that subject!

As for muskets - you can't go wrong with choosing the best musket/rifle ever designed during the War of Northern Aggression - the coveted Fayetteville!

As a 2 bander - she loads MUCH faster than the antiquated 3 banders being used on the line. Fayettevilles are of good weight AND balance. Unlike 3 banders and the 2 band "artillery" Springfield's, Fayettevilles don't get easily pushed around like a weather vein while shooting in the wind. Being of the M-1855 pattern, parts are plentiful. Get the barrel relined, or replaced - you want progressive depth rifling (I personally recommend Whitaker's - but there are several GOOD vendors in this department!), the stock glass bedded, your lock tuned and trigger set to 3 lbs 2 oz. Sights: I prefer peep, with standard front sight - my eyesight now struggles with narrow blades, but I did prefer them in my youth. From there you can work up your optimal load. I use & suggest the .58 Hodgson (pure lead!) with 43 gr 3 F goex. Size your bullets properly and with fresh lube you will NOT have to punch your bore the entire time on the line.

Stance, I used to use the Olympic stance, but have had to evolve as I/my body changed to the "standard" style/stance with my right hand supporting. I am a South Paw (left eye dominant) so for me, the lock has never been an issue/distraction as long as I've been shooting muzzle loaders since the age of 9. Perhaps you may want to try using your left eye for a day at the range and see how you do/if it works??? I do now hold my ram rod in my right hand. This was a major change for me, but after getting used to holding my ram rod while shooting, loading is a bit faster & simpler on the line during team events.

gh - bottom line, you'll have to choose the musket that is right FOR YOU! The above works for me, but won't work for any number of competitors for whatever reason. Your piece has to be comfortable, and suit you personally - if you hope to settle on one rifle/musket for use on the line for individuals & team matches.

Some of your sport is science, but a GREAT amount of it is purely "art". Due to the targets, distances and conditions we're now demanding a lot more accuracy and consistency from what were basic/standard military arms intended for a much different use/results. That's what make each competitor's "kit" unique unto themselves.

I strongly suggest you "try on" a wide variety of muskets, and if possible put a few rounds down range with them if the owners allow. Take note how they load, how they "fit" into your shoulder, how you acquire the target while sighting in, Enfields with their "straight" stock offer different "ergonomics" than those like the Springfield, Remington, etc.

Eggman
02-16-2015, 04:55 PM
Another "wrinkle" that enters into the selection process is basing the musket choice on tradition, like family lore or unit lore or folklore. My initial selection (three band Enfield) was based entirely on "that's the gun that great grandpa Ira Doty carried in the 26th Iowa (Arkansas Post/Vicksburg -- I hear they were eating rats in Vicksburg) who was my wife's great grandfather -- my ancestors all being peaceable cow milkers. A LOT of N-SSA folks are hard core history types, where history, be it family history, town history, N-SSA unit history, or sometimes just the aura some weapons exude, like the most cool Spencer, or the also cool Maynard, comes before winning gold medals (well maybe not the Maynard, better known as a best choice medal getter).

glenhunter
02-16-2015, 10:54 PM
Thank you all for answering my questions. You've all been truly helpful and honest regarding my thoughts. Many thanks.

gh