PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on repairing stock

threepdr
08-05-2009, 08:31 PM
I recently bought a repro flintlock musket which is broken at the wrist of the stock. I think I can peice it back together, but need some advice on what adhesive to use. This will be a blank shooter for living history programs.

I have some brown expoy bedding compound which I will use in the breech area after the stock is fixed. Would this bedding compound work for repairing the break also?

If not, any other suggestions? Epoxy, or Gorrilla glue possibly?

Thanks

wormey
08-06-2009, 11:43 PM
I use an epoxy tinted to match the wood . The strongest repair has a threaded steel rod run through the wrist from the tang inlet to reinforce the break. If done properly it is stronger than before and virtually unnoticeable. :D

threepdr
08-07-2009, 09:33 AM
Thanks Wormy,

Good advice on the threaded rod. I had planned to put in a dowel from the tang through the wrist. Is the treaded rod essentially a long wood screw, or do you use some of the treaded rod availible at the hardware stores? 1/4 inch or so?

I planned on putting the dowel or rod in after the initial repair to the stock. It will be easier to do the reinforement if the break is already stableized.

THnaks again

GPM
08-07-2009, 06:08 PM
Mark,
Brownell also makes accuraglass used for bedding which might be a possible canidate. The stuff is super strong and comes with a pack of dye for matching color. It might be easier to control runout as it's thicker than epoxy. I have not used it for a wrist repair yet, but know it works for duffle cuts on more modern rifles such as 98K's ect. even for live firing.

wormey
08-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Mark, sorry for the delayed followup. I am on a vacation of sorts in Alabama in fact........at Deercreek Campground outside Tuscaloosa!! Any :D way, I usually use a lag bolt. Sometime you have to get creative with the head, i.e. usually grind off the hex head and cut a screwdriver slot. Predrill a hole slightly smaller than the threads, mix up your epoxy; glue the 2 halves of the break and then put epoxy on the lagbolt and run it in and draw the two pieces together. Finally if you install the lagbolt deep enough in the hole you have drilled, you can then plug the hole with a piece of walnut and the fix is practically invisible. A little hard to give all the details on a laptop in a camper, but you should get the picture. Good luck.[/b]