PDA

View Full Version : Yeck Smith Gunbroker

Bill Jefford, 1511V
08-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Yeck Smith on Gunbroker. Type 135083172 in search box.

Not mine...just a heads up.

Bill Jefford

R. McAuley 3014V
08-04-2009, 09:15 PM
50 caliber Smith Carbine reproduction of the original smith. Custom built by mike yek

The carbine on Gunbroker looks like the Yeck Smith Carbine that I built in 1983. If it is, it won’t have any serial number or any other markings other than perhaps my initials “RM” or “RHM” stamped in the stock? The one I built was made from a parts kit that Mike Yeck sold at the Nationals after the old man who had finished all of his earlier carbines had passed away. The receiver had been a rough investment casting and it took me several weeks to finish it to match the original contours. Yeck’s Smith Carbines were finished with beveled edges rather than like the originals.

After seeing another example of his work, Henry Marshall, gunsmith, of Smyrna, GA, did the color case-hardening. If the carbine is the same one, the chamber only takes the old white plastic tubes. Of course, someone could have the chamber re-sized to take the black tubes, but the carbine had shot very well when I had it. I sold it in 2003 because I was "Smith poor"— I only had three of them.

Richard McAuley, 3014V
37th GA