PDA

View Full Version : Burnside as a skirmish gun

brimorse
01-27-2015, 11:53 PM
Greetings All,

As the cabin fever sets in and the daydreaming about shooting starts, I wonder honestly about the viability of the Burnside carbine as a skirmish gun. Hopefully someone will read this that has used a Burnside for this purpose.

I myself have never shot one, but do fancy them. I know the brass is pricey, but they now make a nylon (?) cartridge case. Are they durable enough? Are they reliable enough? Can they be made to shoot well?

I understand as well there aren't many of them on the line, and there must be a reason for that.

Thoughts, comments, experiences?

Best,

Bri

spadegrip
01-28-2015, 07:17 AM
Greetings All,

As the cabin fever sets in and the daydreaming about shooting starts, I wonder honestly about the viability of the Burnside carbine as a skirmish gun. Hopefully someone will read this that has used a Burnside for this purpose.

I myself have never shot one, but do fancy them. I know the brass is pricey, but they now make a nylon (?) cartridge case. Are they durable enough? Are they reliable enough? Can they be made to shoot well?

I understand as well there aren't many of them on the line, and there must be a reason for that.

Thoughts, comments, experiences?

Best,

Bri
I have used a Burnside in competition. They are just as viable as any other carbine. The trick is to find a bullet powder combination that works. Once you get it to shoot accurately, it's like any other breach loading carbine. I have only used brass cases. Lodgewood make a proper case, and I believe S&S make a repro breach back end that is nice to have as you don't beat the platinum gas cone that fits in the back of the cartridge. Good luck. There used to be more Burnsides on the line 30 years ago, but with repro Sharps and the Hahn tubes, people are going that route.

ian45662
01-28-2015, 07:22 PM
I have one and I shot it in one shoot so far. I have shot it a good bit just for fun though and I would say that yet it can be a solid skirmish gun. Mine like 38 grains of goex oldE 1.5 and a .562 roundball. I use a grease cookie between the ball and powder then also dip the ball in lube. I had to use a drop tube to charge the case so I could fit all that powder in below the grease cookie

brimorse
01-29-2015, 09:14 AM
Gents,

I appreciate your input, thank you!

Bri