PDA

View Full Version : Help new shooter get started

Steven McDonald
01-21-2015, 03:26 PM
i am looking for a molding pot, powder drop an anything else that goes with loading rounds for a musket.

Eggman
01-21-2015, 04:58 PM
Steve,
Recommend you look to your teammates first. We also have a host of sutlers you can pull up from the n-ssa home page. Think in terms of dipping your powder with a pre-set powder measure out of come kind of bowl and pouring it into your cartridge. A powder drop is something a Democrat would use.

Maillemaker
01-21-2015, 05:47 PM
What's wrong with a powder drop?

I use the Lee Perfect Powder Measure. They are about $20. Mine drops BP within a tenth of a grain. I use a RCBS Chargemaster scale to set the device, and then you can go to town.

The problem I had with dippers was how you jiggle the dipper causes powder to settle differently in the dipper. I'm sure you could get consistent with one but I sure live my Lee Perfect Powder Measure.

Here is a review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVyLVYjm0ZA

Anyway, Steven, good luck on your quest.

Steve

iron brigade
01-21-2015, 06:03 PM
I have 4 of them but use 'em for smokeless powder. I tried with black but too inconsistent. so now I use a lee 12 gauge load all 2. I just change out the bushings for different powder charges, it works great and is very consistent.

Eggman
01-21-2015, 08:58 PM
For melting pot I use the low cost Lee. Mine has drop spout but I dont use it - plugged with nail -- use dipper -- dont like the constant drip. Once getting nice bullets set dial to that temp - around 7 or 8 usually.
Watch out - dont use wheel weights or other mixed up lead for minies.

buicksp39
01-21-2015, 09:18 PM
I have 2 - 5 lb pots and one 10 lb production pot both are used I also have a bullet dipper ladle. I also agree with the gentleman who said don't use wheel weights, they are too hard and most now days are zinc. if you need lead that's good and soft I have it. If you have an interest call me 724 679 1619, Bryan

MR. GADGET
01-21-2015, 09:25 PM
For melting pot I use the low cost Lee. Mine has drop spout but I dont use it - plugged with nail -- use dipper -- dont like the constant drip. Once getting nice bullets set dial to that temp - around 7 or 8 usually.
Watch out - dont use wheel weights or other mixed up lead for minies.

Yep have been using the Lee mag 20s for years one was a bottom but I tac welded it shut and removed the rest.
it would plug 50% of the time or drip bad the other 50%

just dip now.

also have some lyman big dipper or what ever they call them.
they work fine and low $ plus I use them for hard lead and the lees for soft.

jonk
01-21-2015, 10:43 PM
Your ID number suggests that you've been a member for a few years at least. Is this for you or a teammate?

If you need a mold, I could probably scare up a Lee that I'd consider donating to the cause. Don't know what diameter you need, or what style/weight you want, but I had good luck with it when starting out. But I don't want to give it away if the gun in question hates the bullets. If you want to try some (and need a mold that is) let me know, I'll send maybe 20 trial bullets. It's the trashcan style bullet.

Rob FreemanWBR
01-21-2015, 11:21 PM
Steven,

Team mates, the bulletin board and even old issues of the skirmishline (if you can get your hands on them) are great sources of info.

That being said - what works for one skirmishes may NOT work for you, likewise for your arms not every load will work for everyother similar type of arm. You have to find what works best for you and your piece and refine from there.

Make sure your projectiles are properly sized!

Finally - esp during the winter season eBay can be a great source in finding low cost quality casting and reloading equipment. Lee melting pot. Lee/rcbs powder drop, powder scale and if you use sizing dies a lubrisizer.

Personally -for me my charges are thrown by weight not volume.

Slow and steady wins the race - it will take you some time to get things "just so" and the time you invest will pay big dividends and make your skirmishing experience all-the-more rewarding and enjoyable once things fall into place.

There re are a lot of fellow skirmishes out there willing to help so don't ever feel you're working in a vacuum.

Best of luck and I hope our paths cross on the line in the near future.

David Disher 12143
01-22-2015, 12:47 PM
Steve,
Recommend you look to your teammates first. We also have a host of sutlers you can pull up from the n-ssa home page. Think in terms of dipping your powder with a pre-set powder measure out of come kind of bowl and pouring it into your cartridge. A powder drop is something a Democrat would use.

I have an RCBS powder drop and I DINT vote for George McGovern for prezident.

Eggman
01-22-2015, 01:46 PM
Well I gues that must be a stereo type of mine. All the drop guys I knew up to now were Democrats.

brimorse
01-22-2015, 02:35 PM
Thank you for the tip on the Lee powder measure Steve!

I too have found that the Lyman is fairly inconsistent. At least the last time I used it it was.

Bri

What's wrong with a powder drop?

I use the Lee Perfect Powder Measure. They are about $20. Mine drops BP within a tenth of a grain. I use a RCBS Chargemaster scale to set the device, and then you can go to town.

The problem I had with dippers was how you jiggle the dipper causes powder to settle differently in the dipper. I'm sure you could get consistent with one but I sure live my Lee Perfect Powder Measure.

Here is a review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVyLVYjm0ZA

Anyway, Steven, good luck on your quest.

Steve

Maillemaker
01-22-2015, 03:44 PM
The only thing about the plastic powder measures is they all say they are "not for black powder". What I have "heard" is that there are concerns with static electricity setting off the powder.

So if you blow up, you were warned. :)

Steve

MR. GADGET
01-23-2015, 09:29 AM
"I dont use it - plugged with nail"
The worst thing you can do to a bottom pour pot. Will scratch the valve stem or seat.

What ?

who cares if it get scratch if you dont want use it as a bottom pour abd only want to dip lead....
I welxex mine... that did more than a scratch....

Maillemaker
01-23-2015, 09:37 AM
The worst thing you can do to a bottom pour pot. Will scratch the valve stem or seat.

I think the idea was to permanently plug the valve, so I don't think he's worried about scratching it. :)

I use a Lee 4-20 bottom pour pot. It will sometimes drop a tiny bit, making a little lead stalagmite that I knock over from time to time as it starts to interfere with the mold positioning. And every once and a while the drip will splash a tiny drop of hot lead on me which is annoying. But I like the bottom pour convenience and lack of dealing with any dross.

But I've never tried any other way so who knows.

Steve

Eggman
01-23-2015, 10:18 AM
"I dont use it - plugged with nail"

Guys that drive Beemers and Mercedes have pots with valve stems. I have a 1990 Chevy S-10 and a Lee pot (I admit it - this is a pretty lame cheap shot).

Chris Sweeney
01-23-2015, 10:59 AM
I have 4 Lyman 55s and 2 older Ideal 55s, all set up for the different charges I use for BP. With the exception of the newest Lyman, they will hold a charge weight to within the tolerance of my scale. They are a little technique-sensitive, but if you are consistent with your action they will be consistent with their charge. Given the varying amount of powder that may be static-clung to your cases, trapped in the fouling in your barrel, clung to the lube on your bullet, etc. I would be very surprised if a series of perfectly-measured charges didn't end up varying by at least half a grain by the time it actually got into the chamber.

I also have the Lee perfect Powder measure, but never had much success with BP in it YMMV, I guess.

Also want to put in a vote for bottom pouring pots. They also are a bit technique-sensitive but I get much better results than I do w/ ladles. I used to have this old Saeco cast iron pot that had a mold rest, and a real thermostat, but it no longer works. The Lee pots leak, but they are 60 bucks as opposed to the RCBS ones that go for 350. Just can't convince myself that they are 6 1/2 times better than the Lees

But this thread was spodabe about helping a newbie with gear. In that light, I have a small Lee dip pot available for real cheap

Fred Jr
01-23-2015, 11:03 AM
I have always used a bottom pour pot. At first used a lee but with two people using it they wore out fast. Now I use lymans. One down here in the sunny south and one up in PA. When they drip I just run a soft wire up the spout and that will usually correct it. I also empty the pot once a year or so and reseat the plunger by using some valve grinding compound. I just don't worry about the possible weight difference in my bullets. just my thoughts on the subject I also use a Lyman 55 drop charger. Close enough for me! Again, Just my thoughts and what I do.

Fred

Ron/The Old Reb
01-23-2015, 04:25 PM
I admit it - this is a pretty lame cheap shot)

Sorry I did't mean it as a cheap shot! Just stating a fact.

Scott Harris
01-23-2015, 05:38 PM
Focus guys... Steven has been shooting since he could hold up a musket. He has all the equipment he needs. He is looking to set up a new shooter and keep the costs down. Thank you Chris for responding with the lead pot.

Artilleryman
01-23-2015, 05:44 PM
Hi everyone---

I've been skirmishing since the early 1970s. I had to "retire" to take care of my disabled son. He's older now and am looking forward to getting back into skirmishing. My wife, son and I are going to be relocating to New England this Spring and looking forward to "picking up the musket again".

When I started skirmishing back in 1971, Lyman was about the only source for moulds and casting equipment. Lee had just started in the business and they didn't have much available. I tried the Lee moulds several times but found they just didn't hold up real well for production casting. This was because I'd run about 400 slugs at a time during the winter. That would be enough for the next skirmish season. I also began using Eldon Cady's Lead Ex fluxing compound at that time. The stuff worked great, but found I had to clean the melting pot every year. l have several bottles of the stuff left. Right before I started skirmishing, I bought a horrendously old Lyman bottom pour melting pot for about $70.00, from a place in Wyoming. I used that pot for about 15 years and every year would clean out the pot so the lead would flow freely. Remember these were the days before the Internet, when everything you bought was from catalogues or ads; and you had to use snail-mail when you ordered anything. I would buy 5 lbs plumbers ingots for about $1.50, per ingot (this WAS a LOOOONNNNGGG time ago) to cast up slugs. I used an OS Lyman minie for quite a number of years and still turns out good slugs! I used a Lyman 55 Powder Measure with no problems (except I had to clean it out too...due to the black powder literally "gumming up the works". I started small...and gradually built up a good casting outfit which works well for me. It was totally trial and error. The best advice I could give is to buy the best available...because it will last. When you give up skirmishing, you can always resell the item and get most of your money back.

Good luck.

Dave St John
Artilleryman
Batt H First Ills Lt Artillery.

Steven McDonald
01-26-2015, 10:20 AM
I have found a melting pot an a powder drop. Now I'm looking for a .576 Hodge mold an sizing dye.

Steven McDonald
01-26-2015, 10:36 AM
I have found a melting pot an a powder drop. Now I'm looking for a .576 Hodge mold an sizing dye.