PDA

View Full Version : Giving the Smith another whirl

jonk
01-07-2015, 11:34 PM
So awhile back, I posted my winter projects were as follows:
-Get my Fayetteville sighted in for the Hodgdon bullet. Done.
-Get my newly purchased 1816 up and running. Mostly done, still need to take it out again to verify the load it liked.
-Bend the barrel on my 1842 to correct a severe (3 foot) elevation issue. Done.
-Try my friend's Rogers and Spencer to see if I shoot it better than my 1863. Done.
-Try hard lead in my sharps. Not done.
-Do lock work on my Euroarms Enfield, and install a better peep. Not done.
-Do lock work on my Pietta smith and work up a load. Well, the lock work is done. Now for the load. I have 5 bullets to try; a Lyman 340, Hodgdon 320 solid base, Gompf, Lee 6 cavity, and very similar but slightly fatter custom close out Lee 2 cavity. I have 100 rounds loaded, with 10 of each bullet, using 30 gr of 2f and 10 each with 3f. I also have some new cases for a baseline.

Question: the bore looks pretty good, with only a hint of pitting in one area (got it used) but I've read horror stories about backwards rifling and all other manner of things. If none of these bullets group at all, is there anything else I should try before just sending it off for a reline?

Right now I shoot a Pedersoli sharps as my main gun with Rapine Christmas tree bullet. I do pretty well with it. I'm neck and neck with our team commander to nudge him out of the number 2 A team spot. :D Buuuutt... it sure is time consuming to make sharps ammo, and if I can get a similar hit time with the smith (or better!) to what I currently have, it sure would be nice not to have to glue in bullets and make tubes and yada yada yada...

Timmeu
01-08-2015, 10:45 AM
"What is time to a goat" an old friend of mine used to say. However you need to shoot a maynard to totally understand fun.

jonk
01-08-2015, 02:03 PM
"What is time to a goat" an old friend of mine used to say. However you need to shoot a maynard to totally understand fun.

I shot one. Really didn't care for it. ;)

ian45662
01-08-2015, 03:18 PM
Uh oh!!!! I see storm clouds on the horizon

Ben Nevlezer
01-08-2015, 04:17 PM
I shot a Maynard once too. My Richmond put one hell of a dent in the side of it!;)

Rich Foster
01-08-2015, 06:30 PM
I thought I read somewhere that a soldier had to pass a Rigorous IQ and shooting ability test to be issued a Maynard. Maynards were for the Elite Troops. Rich

Curt
01-08-2015, 07:18 PM
Hallo!

"Question: the bore looks pretty good, with only a hint of pitting in one area (got it used) but I've read horror stories about backwards rifling and all other manner of things. If none of these bullets group at all, is there anything else I should try before just sending it off for a reline?"

A passing Thought and quick Question: Have you "slugged" the barrel to see what its actual lands-and-grooves measure out to be?

Curt

RaiderANV
01-08-2015, 07:55 PM
Jonk,,,,,,Ben,,,,,,I hear God telling Peter to fetch Thy Great Book now!!

Rest of ya'll might wanna move back ah lil.........

jonk
01-09-2015, 12:30 AM
Hallo!

"Question: the bore looks pretty good, with only a hint of pitting in one area (got it used) but I've read horror stories about backwards rifling and all other manner of things. If none of these bullets group at all, is there anything else I should try before just sending it off for a reline?"

A passing Thought and quick Question: Have you "slugged" the barrel to see what its actual lands-and-grooves measure out to be?

Curt

I did. It's a hard one to slug, as the rifling is not opposed. Using some math that I borrowed from a Lee-Enfield forum on how to calculate odd numbers of rifling, I come up with .514ish, so I am sizing at .516.

As to the Maynard, I found that I didn't care for the overall balance of it. I just like a bit heavier gun with a nice forestock. I'm sure I'd get used to it though if I bought one, and wouldn't say no for the right price.

Ben Nevlezer
01-09-2015, 05:16 PM
In all honesty the Maynard is a fine firearm. As well as the Smith. I know that the both of them have won many a medals over the years! As far as my Maynard..... With a burned out flash hole the barrel would better serve me as a jack handle out in my shop. But, its still money in the bank considering ive owned it for over 15 years and bought it for the right price. Im coming back to the N-SSA this season and im thinking about getting it fixed up for my daughter to try shooting a bit. As the Maynard really is a perfect GIRLS gun.

hwaugh
01-09-2015, 05:20 PM
Ben,

If you are thinking of getting the touch hole fixed, I would recommend John Bly. He will do a great job and stand by his work.

Ben Nevlezer
01-09-2015, 06:38 PM
PM sent to hwaugh

RaiderANV
01-09-2015, 07:17 PM
. As the Maynard really is a perfect GIRLS gun.

Awwwwww,,,,,,,Ben just got on God's bad side. St. Peter will be fetching Thy Great Book again!

jonk
01-11-2015, 09:31 PM
30 gr of 2f and soft lead, Lee 6 cavity got me about a 2" offhand group at 50 today. I'll take that. Shot 7.5" high, but I can fix that. SPG.