PDA

View Full Version : Repro Smith carbine comparison?

Cannonsight
01-04-2015, 07:43 AM
I am contemplating getting a repro Smith made by Armi Sport. I have been searching for a comparison between that and the Pietta, but haven't found one. Are there pros and cons between the two? Can anyone tell me about the markings on the AS Smith? Thanks, Fred

Lou Lou Lou
01-04-2015, 09:28 AM
I did not know that Armi Sport made a Smith. While I do not own any repro Smiths, I have scrubbed in on a few Piettas. This is what I have observed and must be taken with a grain of salt.
Trigger needs work. After initial trigger job with some use gun goes into half cock and tumbler has to be re-shaped.
Some have cavernous holes under the nipple that need to crud up for reliable ignition. Fix is to drill out the drill hole and put in a bolt drilled with a flash channel.
Last but not least was the initial shipment that were rifled backward and got bigger toward the muzzle.

All anecdotal but that is all I have

Cannonsight
01-04-2015, 11:25 AM
Thanks Lou, if AS doesn't make a Smith, that would explain why I can't find any information about them! It must be the seller is mistaken about the manufacturer. I'm waiting for pictures from him. The issues sound minor....except for the rifling problem.

Francis J. Miller Jr, 02601
01-04-2015, 11:42 AM
Cannonsight,
On AS's website, the only percussion breech loaders they produce is the 1859 Sharps Infantry Rifle and the 1859 Sharps Carbine in .54 cal http://www.chiappafirearms.com/armi-sport

Francis J. Miller Jr, 02601
01-04-2015, 11:51 AM
Cannonsight,
The only repro makers of the Smith Carbine I'm familiar with is Pietta like Lou mentioned and Yeck Antique Firearms (marked YAF). Hope this helps