PDA

View Full Version : Range Report: Success with the Pedersoli P58

Maillemaker
01-01-2015, 11:07 PM
Last year I picked up a new-in-box second-hand Pedersoli P58 shortly after they came out on the market.

I took it to the range and did some load work-ups, and on my last string of fire came up with a very nice 5-shot group with all 5 shots touching, using 60 grains of 2F Goex and an RCBS 500M bullet sized to .578.

I finally got to try it out again to make sure it was not a fluke, and it looks like this is one possible competition-grade load for this gun.

The bullets are RCBS 500M bullets sized to .578, and lubed with the period lube recipie of 3 parts beeswax to one part mutton tallow. I find this to be a very good lube that is not runny and yet keeps fouling low even in a traditional-style minie bullet with small grease grooves.

http://i.imgur.com/tM2PUQV.jpg

I fired 7 shots at 50 yards. Average To Center was .84 inches.

I suspect that a similar traditional-style minie with a thinner skirt would perform similarly with a reduced charge. Balázs Németh (Space Cowboy here) shoots this gun with the Lyman 575213PH sized to .578, but my Lyman 575213PH mold drops at .575 so I obviously cannot size it to .578. He achieved a very good group (similar to what I achieved above) with only 40 grains of 3F Swiss with this bullet, no doubt in part due to the thinner skirt on the Lyman bullet. I think Moose makes a traditional minie of similar size and weight with a thinner skirt and of sufficient size; I will have to look into that.

Anyway with this kind of group once I get the sights dialed in I may be able to use this in team competition, displacing my Euroarms P53 with Whitacre barrel. The shorter gun should make loading times faster.

Steve

lkmcd1
01-02-2015, 10:52 AM
Hi Steve, thanks for the report. I also have a Pedersoli P58 that I bought new last year. You mention you size bullets to .578" but in mine, I can only with difficulty get a .578 bullet down the barrel and have to size to .577. My question is, how difficult is it for you to load a .578 bullet? Possibly we have differences due to manufacturing tolerances between barrels.
Thanks
Larry

Maillemaker
01-02-2015, 11:47 AM
Hi Larry,

.578 loads easily, and is a snug enough fit such that I get an air-cushion bounce effect when ramming the ball home.

In fact I caught on video from two days ago I was ramming a ball home and it bounced the ramrod right out of the barrel of the gun, which I caught mid-air! See the 1:53 mark here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p71eysh_OGw

This is typical of my skirmish guns. I did not try a .579 but I bet it won't fit.

Both of my Pedersolis (P58 and P53) take .578 bullets.

Steve

Greg Ogdan 110th OVI
01-02-2015, 02:51 PM
Steve,

Now I'm curious. Do the Pedersoli Muskets have shallow or deep rifling please? Here's why I ask. I do have a Pedersoli Sharps Infantry that is deep rifled and shoots lights out. But, I'm thinking that if the Muskets are deep rifled AND you're using s thin skirt bullet, you might want to go .001" smaller to ease loading and keep the same accuracy.

Greg

Lou Lou Lou
01-02-2015, 03:11 PM
Steve
i had a new base plug made for my RCBS 500 M to thin the skirt. Works a treat

Maillemaker
01-02-2015, 04:09 PM
Now I'm curious. Do the Pedersoli Muskets have shallow or deep rifling please?

I don't know how to determine this without slugging the barrel.

i had a new base plug made for my RCBS 500 M to thin the skirt. Works a treat

Hey Lou, how did you go about that? Send the current plug to a machinist to match but make the cone bigger?

Steve

Lou Lou Lou
01-02-2015, 08:15 PM
Essentially, yes. Machinist is a skirmish buddy. Do you want me to measure the new skirt thickness?

Maillemaker
01-02-2015, 09:04 PM
No need, thanks - I'm assuming you got it thinner and thus deforming more easily.

If I get one made I'll just measure my current plug base and figure out how much bigger to make it based on my 575213PH.

Steve

lkmcd1
01-03-2015, 10:24 AM
Lou
If you don't mind, I would like to know the skirt thickness that you use. Looking at the 578675 Lyman bullet I now shoot, the skirt is about .090" which is probably too thick for lighter powder loads. I checked some old 575213 and 575213os bullets I had and their skirts were .070".
Thanks
Larry

lkmcd1
01-03-2015, 11:42 AM

Reading about skirt thickness has got me thinking .... The above photo shows my 578675 Lyman bullet mold that I just mentioned above. Now that I have given it a good looking over, it appears it might expand into the bore kind of like a Wilkinson bullet by compressing the lower groove as well as expanding the base ring. Could it be that even though my bullet has a thick base, the majority of expansion happens in the groove and skirt thickness isn't an issue? The thickness of the bottom of the groove to the hollow inside of the bullet is ~ .040 inch.
Thanks
Larry