PDA

View Full Version : Garrett Sharps 1863 Carbine

slimfixins
12-29-2014, 07:14 PM
I am considering selling my Garrett 1863 Sharps Carbine. When I decide what I am going to do,
I will post pictures. Right now, I am trying to decide what is a fair price. The Carbine is in pretty nice
shape. 90%+ original finish remains with a good bore. Missing the top cover on the priming device which I have tried
to replace using this forum and other sources. May be available, but only luck will find one.
The chamber is tight and I don't have a tool to remove/loosen it. The carbine is in original configuration
as imported by Frank Garrett in the 1970's/1980's.
My question is what is a fair value? I don't want to overprice it, but I also don't want to under price
either. I would rather sell on this forum as opposed to Gunbroker or other non Civil War forums.
I am a former N-SSA member of 2nd OVI, Company C of Columbus, OH about 30 years ago.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Eggman
12-30-2014, 09:32 AM
I would suggest entering "Sharps carbine for sale" in the search line up above and by reviewing previous offerings of Garrett and others get a price swag that way.

slimfixins
12-31-2014, 11:06 AM
I would suggest entering "Sharps carbine for sale" in the search line up above and by reviewing previous offerings of Garrett and others get a price swag that way.
I did that and due to the limited number of Garretts sold in the last few years, it is difficult to
assign a value to this particular firearm.
Some of the online auctions, such as Gunbroker have gotten some ridiculous prices for Garretts in the last couple of
years and although I am not against selling it that way and getting more for it, I would rather it go to an active skirmisher.
I am leaning toward an $850 to $900 number. I think that is fair even considering the problems with it that I have noted.

slimfixins
12-31-2014, 11:14 AM
[QUOTE=R. McAuley 3014V;43926]I purchased a Garrett M1859 Sharps Carbine in June 1985 for $329 ppd. Using an inflation calculator, $329 in 1985 would have the buying power of $722 in 2014. Currently, Dixie Gun Works is offering the Pedersoli 1859 Sharps for $995 (MSRP $1400). However, just within the past year there were two 1863 Garrett Sharps that brought prices of $1100 and $1200, respectively, both in like new condition. One sold on this BB last July at the lower price noted.

Love that receipt. Shipping for $4.00? I want to go back. I bought my first Garrett in the early 1980's used for about $200. It was in perfect condition
and although it looked really really good, it would not shoot worth a darn. Using nitrated paper and every thing.
Thanks for the info and the advice. I have seen them sell on online auction sites for as much as $1500. I am leaning toward an $800 to $900 price. If I decide to sell it, I will get it listed with pictures on this site next week.
Thanks again.

Ron/The Old Reb
12-31-2014, 04:37 PM
I bought my Garrett Sharps in 1985 when I joined the N-SSA from the Winchester Sutler for a little over $300.00 dollars. A good investment better then having money in the bank. It shot good won some medals with it. I stop shooting it because it's a pain in the butt to clean. I am not going to sell it; it's going in the ground with me. Plan on doing some skirmishing on the other side.:rolleyes: