PDA

View Full Version : 1842 Smoothbore Breech section

bobanderson
12-16-2014, 09:02 AM
I had heard, correctly or not, that the source for 1842 smoothbore breech sections had dried up and this was causing barrel makers some problems. Last Fall I purchased a complete 1842 barrel assembly (and some other repro parts) from Taylors and Co in Winchester for a very fair price.

Because I am interested in making my own barrel for a Macon Conversion project, I contacted them again to see if the breech section, called an 1842 tang in their catalog, was available.

Ashley, their parts expert, informed me that they cost $34.25 each and were currently out of stock. She advised that they will be putting an order in to the factory and they would be willing to keep a list of names to be notified when they come in. Because I may not be the only person who would want these, she said that I could put this information out to the N-SSA.

Send her an email at ashleyl@taylorsfirearms.com with your name, address and phone number if you are interested in one of these parts.

PS - I also found she was an excellent source for other 1842 parts like band springs, barrel bands and the other things us gun nuts like tinkering with.