PDA

View Full Version : Sears Roebuck Zouave

Hoboman
12-09-2014, 05:44 AM
Hello all:

I am new here, and would like some info for a Anatoli Zoli, Zoauve(Has Sears Roebuck,.58 cal. inscription on stock hand grip). This rifle is a new addition for me and would like to try 60gr. goex ffg with a patched round ball,,(280 gr. ball). I have also obtained some 570 gr. minnies and wonder what charge I should use for that. As I said I am new here and would like to load this gun safely. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Muley Gil
12-09-2014, 06:24 AM
Welcome to the N-SSA.

As far as Minie balls (bullets), for the best accuracy, the Minies should be .001-.002" undersized. I doubt a .570 Minie will expand enough to grip the rifling. Most of us use lighter powder charges, 35-50 grains of black powder, and FFFg powder seems to be the preferred grind. The Minies should be pure lead.

Enjoy your Zouave. I started with one back in 1969.

Maillemaker
12-09-2014, 08:15 AM
I think Gil misread your "570 gr." as ".570".

Other than that, Gil covered it.

Half the battle is finding the right size for your bullet. Barrels are not uniform.

Steve

Muley Gil
12-09-2014, 10:18 PM
I think Gil misread your "570 gr." as ".570".

Other than that, Gil covered it.

Half the battle is finding the right size for your bullet. Barrels are not uniform.

Steve

Yes, I did indeed. Those must have been cast from a Parker-Hale mould.

kowdok
12-11-2014, 08:09 AM
Hoboman
I purchased 2 identical Zouaves on this BB about 2 yrs ago. Both were unfired and had Sears and Roebuck on them. Two things you need to know, the barrel sizes were very different, one being .577 and the other being .574. You need to know your barrel size because the minnie you shoot should be .001 to .002 under barrel size for accuracy. Also, you must use pure soft lead or the minnie will not expand. The gun will shoot very high at 50 and 100yds until you replace the front sight with a taller one, or drill a peep as low as possible in the rear leaf. Both of my guns had re-inactor nipples in them, that is the bottom side of the nipple is made with a huge hole which causes inaccuracy. Replace it with a new nipple with a very small touch hole. I'm pretty sure I got mine from S and S Firearms, under our sutler list. Once you fix these few quirks, the guns are fantastic shooters. Good luck!

kowdok
12-11-2014, 08:25 AM
I have had many Zouaves over the years. They all seem to like 38 gns of 3 FFF Goex powder. I also seem to get the best results with a RCBS Hogdon bullet sized correctly for the barrel size. If you order one of these molds, 2 pts to remember. Order the mold with the larger of the 2 inserts, this makes the skirt thinner and allows for better expansion of the minnie. Order the size closest to your barrel size without going under barrel size. Then you must get some sort of a sizing die to size the minnie to .001 or .002 under barrel size. Hope this helps.