PDA

View Full Version : Mississippi Rifle Breech--repro vs. original?

kb466
12-05-2014, 05:25 PM
I am building a Mississippi Rifle using original parts for the most part except a Dunlap stock and a Whitacre barrel. Dan Whitacre has told me that the breech he will be using on my barrel is copied from a repro barrel and the nipple location may be different from an original. Does anyone know if this is true? Will I need to get an original breech section? Is there a new-made breech section available that is scaled off an original barrel? If so, where can I get one?... Or get an original breech section for that matter? Thanks!
Bill M.

John Bly
12-06-2014, 08:51 AM
Dan has made enough of those that he probably knows what he is talking about. No repro Mississippi maker that I know of copied the breech exactly. Your best bet would be to find an original barrel and have it lined if needed. Hoyt used to have a machined breech section made on CNC machines that copied the original very close but I think he lost that source. You could call him and ask. His number is 717-642-6696 and the best time to get him to answer the phone is early in the morning.

kb466
12-06-2014, 10:28 AM
Dan has made enough of those that he probably knows what he is talking about. No repro Mississippi maker that I know of copied the breech exactly. Your best bet would be to find an original barrel and have it lined if needed. Hoyt used to have a machined breech section made on CNC machines that copied the original very close but I think he lost that source. You could call him and ask. His number is 717-642-6696 (tel:717-642-6696) and the best time to get him to answer the phone is early in the morning.
Yes, I talked to Bob Hoyt and he told me he no longer had a source for Mississippi breeches, but he did make the barrel blank or tube for me, which he sent on to Dan Whitacre to use. This is because he could make the rifling in its original configuration. I have been told that the Rifle Shoppe sells an original breech section, but unless they have it in stock, it can take forever to get. Also have inquiries into S&S and Lodgewood. Waiting to hear from both. If anyone has one of the machined original- style breech sections that Bob Hoyt used to use and you want to sell it, I'd surely love to hear from you. The same goes for an original and usable barrel or breech section-- please contact me at kb466@hotmail.com. Thanks!
Bill M.

kb466
12-08-2014, 05:58 PM
Looks like I've located an original style breech section for my Mississippi barrel. Found one at the Rifle Shoppe in Oklahoma--- and better yet, they had it in stock. In fact, it is already on its way to Dan Whitacre. Thanks. Problem solved--All is well!
Bill M.

John Bly
12-09-2014, 08:49 AM
You should be aware that the Rifle Shoppe uses original gun parts for the pattern for their repro parts. With wax shrinkage and cast material shrinkage all their parts are undersized. Have Dan compare your part to an original before he uses it.