Thread: Seeing the sights

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Seeing the sights

I had Lasik surgery done this past March, I see the targets fine but my closeup vision(looking at the sights)is blurry. I see fine closeup with reading glasses but then the target gets a bit fuzzy. I'm sure there is/are solution, any suggestions from the more experienced shooters here?

At present I am shooting an 1858 Enfield 2 band,regular sights. Would going to a peep help? Also, I was loaned one of those cups that suction onto your glasses lenses- would that help?

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    I'd go to a peep. And you may need a dedicated shooting prescription.
    Support the USIMLT! Help your fellow Skirmishers go for the gold! www.usimlt.com

Team:
    5th Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    5109V
    Region:
    Welcome to the geriatric generation! There are some things that can help but there is no one single solution to the problem of seeing both the sights and the targets. Peep sights can help as they increase the depth of field and can help bring the front sight back into focus. However on dark cloudy days it makes everything harder to see. The Merit eyepiece is like a peep sight that attaches to your glasses. Folks either love them or hate them. You can have a pair of glasses made to bring the front sight into focus and leave the targets fuzzy if you can learn to shoot that way. There is an eye doctor near Richmond VA who can send you a kit with different lenses to try. You shoot and pick the one that works best for you and then he makes glasses that match the ones you pick. Someone will probably get on here with his contact info. I hope some of this helps.

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    ''...there is no one single solution to the problem of seeing both the sights and the targets.'

Well, you have NEVER been able to see all three, the rear sight, the front sight, and the target, in focus at the same time. When our eyes are young, we swap the focus so fast that it appears that all three are in focus at the same time. As we age, we lose that ability.

As stated, you should focus on the front sight and let the rear sight and target fuzz. Then, concentrate on your trigger squeeze.

Front sight, trigger squeeze. Repeat.
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA

Team:
    Wheat's Louisiana Tigers
    2881V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio
    In order to shoot, you have to see three things: the rear sight, the front sight, and the target. Since it is physiologically impossible to see all three clearly at the same time, the school solution is to focus on the front sight and accept that the rear sight and target will be fuzzy. Young people think that they can see all three objects clearly because the muscles in their eyes are still flexible and they can shift focus very quickly. Between 40 - 50 years of age, you loose that ability. People who never needed glasses need reading glasses, and people who wear glasses require bi-focals, tri-focals, etc. At 67 years of age, I have had some experience with this problem. In your case, the eye surgery has created the immediate problem. The solution is a dedicated set of shooting glasses which force focus on the front sight.

I would recommend Dr. Alan Tolar in Richmond, VA. In addition to being an eye doctor, is has the Army's Distinguished Rifleman and Distinguished Pistol Shot badges, and was captain of the U.S. Army Reserve Pistol Team. He has a kit that you can use on your range, using your firearm, to tweak your prescription to see the front sight. His shooting web site is precisionsightpicture.com . Using the kit, you can get a perfectly clear front sight and target, which is not a good thing. The target has to be a bit fuzzy.

I've used Dr. Tolar for 20 years, and recommend him highly. Please tell him that I sent you.

Regards,
    Don Dixon
    2881V

Distinguished Rifleman
    Distinguished Pistol Shot
    President's Hundred Tabs - Service Rifle and Service Pistol
    Distinguished Skirmisher
    N-SSA Distinguished Shooter badges in Pistol, Carbine, and Breechloading Rifle
    Last edited by Don Dixon; 07-20-2014 at 08:45 AM.

Team:
    5th Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    5109V
    Region:
    I just tried to look up Dr. Tolar's web site and it is www.customsightpicture.com, not as previously posted. This may help anyone trying to find him and his services.