Thread: Garrett

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    N/A
    Region:
    Visitor

Garrett

GB has several Sharps listed that have me a bit curious, more as an observer than a buyer. One is a Garrett percusion carbine but in .56 cal. I never heard of one in .56. Anybody know anything about them?

The other one is listed as a Pedersoli .54 persusion sporter but it's obvioiusly a Garrett since it has the primer set up. but the lockplate is not stamped Garrett. Could this be one of the guns that IAB made up after Garrett pulled the plug? Maybe both?

Duane

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    I had a Garret. The .56 is correct. The gun was extremely well made. The problem was I couldn't get through a skirmish match without some sort of Sharpish malfeasance. I switched to a Smith, then to a Maynard and nirvana.

Team:
    14th Connecticut Volunteer Infantry
    # 2026
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts

.56 Garret

What size or type of a mold did you use?..thanks

Team:
    5th Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    5109V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    The Garrett's had very deep cut rifling, approximately .020" deep and I guess that's why they needed larger bullets. People either loved them or cursed them, not much in between. I've got a cartridge one in 45/70 and after reworking the lock, the triggers, bending the lever to get the firing pin strike better centered on the primer, lapping the barrel and a prolonged search for a bullet mold that fit the odd sized bore and groove, I've got a fully functional gun with thousands of rounds through it that works fine.

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    N/A
    Region:
    Visitor

Garrett

Quote Originally Posted by John Bly View Post
    The Garrett's had very deep cut rifling, approximately .020" deep and I guess that's why they needed larger bullets. People either loved them or cursed them, not much in between. I've got a cartridge one in 45/70 and after reworking the lock, the triggers, bending the lever to get the firing pin strike better centered on the primer, lapping the barrel and a prolonged search for a bullet mold that fit the odd sized bore and groove, I've got a fully functional gun with thousands of rounds through it that works fine.

So they were .520bore/.560 groove?

Duane

Team:
    13th Confederate Infantry
    0829V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    I don't know the whole Garrett linage of Sharps, but I have worked on several 54 bore/56 groove carbines. There is also a bleed over to IAB in the same configuration. As the casting marks on the Middle and Latter carbines are identical. I believe this was the transition time when Garrett was phased out. The mix of design of these two makers is evident also with the lever spring, (flat or coil) Several IAB carbines appear to have been made from left over items as they got rid of the primer feeder.

Both guns do have deeper rifling, and the barrels are hard. The 56 caliber in both of these is bigger than the ARMISPORT.

Charlie Hahn

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    I have a Dixie haircurler mold in.558 I believe for Burnside in excellent condition that should be a good fit. Holler if you want to see it and I'll bring it to the national.

Team:
    17th Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry
    Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia
    My Mom shoots an 1863 Sharps made by Garrett that is a tack driver! They bought it nearly brand new back in the mid 90s. It leaked at first but my Dad machined a longer chamber sleeve for it and now the gas plate positively fits against the back of the barrel eliminating the floating chamber and any problems. After this modification, it shoots literally all day slick as snot without any leaks or issues. Her Garrett also has really deep rifling but shoots excellent with a .541 sized Shiloh "Buffalo" bullet or a heavy skirt .54cal Lyman minie that I don't remember that mould number on. At 50yds it prints one ragged hole and great groups at 100yds too, it never needed a .56cal slug.
    Shoot small, miss small. Or shoot small and hit small!