Thread: Garrett Arms

Region:
    None

Garrett Arms

I have a Garrett Arms 45-70 that I no longer use and would sell it. I was going to post it on gunbroker.com, but decided to look around first for several reasons. One being that there is little knowledge regarding Garrett Arms, secondly; these fine weapons are rare, thirdly; these weapons are specific in nature and only for people that appreciate their outstanding quality and value. And lastly, I have no idea what these are worth. So any information would be greatly appreciated. Any questions, please let me know and I will answer them as soon as possible. Thanks!
    I can be contacted at Lizzie4570@tds.net.

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    I just did a quick peek on Google for it, and maybe that would help you find out more. It is an Italian reproduction, and one recently sold on an auction site for 400.00 or thereabouts. Someone on this BB may have had some experience with them and know if they are a well made repro or not.

D

Region:
    None

Garrett Arms

Thanks, Googled it prior to posting here, auctions and information are dated a couple years ago. I would prefer more recent information. Still hunting for it anyway that is available.
    Your assisantance was appreciated.

Region:
    None
    Garretts were made by Pedersoli to a higher level of quality than their normal product line. The rectangular Garrett cartouche will be found on the left size of the stock opposite the lock, and this means that they were accepted for sale by the Garrett company. I have seen one Pedersoli Sharps sold that did not have this cartouche but that did have a Lawrence primer that I suspect was a rifle that was not accepted by Garrett and was returned to Pedersoli.

The 1859 rifles are rare, and there are few who own on that will part with one. Carbines are much less scarce. I am uncertain how many 45-70s were made. I was at a show last weekend where I beheld the novel sight of two carbines next to each other, one for $850 and the other for $1000. I don't believe either sold. The only two 1859 rifles I know of selling in the last ten years went for between $1,600 and $2,000, and those were both modified rifles with features like double set trigger assemblies and original locks.

From what I understand there are in the neighborhood of 700 carbines out there, and around 250 1859 rifles. I have no idea how many 45-70 rifles. My advice would be to find the right market for your rifle, start with a decent price based on what you have into it, condition, modifications, etc. Then leave yourself some wiggle room to haggle if need be.

Hope this helps!

Dan
    Last edited by DRWambaugh; 03-25-2012 at 11:25 PM.

Region:
    None

Thanks

Thanks to all of you who responded to my inquiry. Fascinating information and advice. I really appreciate your efforts, knowledge and advice. I really don't want to get rid of the 4570 now, but unfortunately physical limitations make it almost impossible to shoot it anymore. And I would really dislike have it around going to waste. I knew it was special when I first laid eyes on it.
    Many thanks again and any/more information would be appreciated since the little I have know since owning the Garrett. The information has been enlightening!

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Garrett Arms

Hi:
    My Garrett Arms .45-70 cartridge carbine was manufactured by Palmetto Arms, of Italy.
    It was bought by a collector on this site for $ 900.00 within the last 1-1/2 yrs.
    It was in perfect condition except for 3/8 " rust spot on the bottom of the barrel.
    The collector said he would have paid $1100.00 if not for that spot.
    Hope this helps
    Ringer