Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whitworth Match?

Team:
    73rd New York Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts

Whitworth Match?

It seems like a good number of N-SSA shooters have Whitworth rifles that they like to play around with. Has anyone ever proposed a Whitworth Match? Maybe shot prone or from cross sticks , on the 200-yard range? Or maybe make it for Whitworth’s and .451 Volunteer rifle’s? Maybe start with a demonstration match?
    Any thoughts?
    Glenn M. Kaye

PapaRob is offline Banned
    Team:
    48th Virginia Infantry
    10407V
    Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    There used to be a long range match once upon a time but I don't know what the rules were nor what the structure was.... I never got to go to one (deployments) and they ended before I got the chance. I would think that something like that would be ideal for whitworth shooters and those with "Sharpshooter" type rifles.

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Many years ago the N-SSA Rules had a provision for a class called "Free Military", which would have included these types of arms. When Parker-Hale introduced the Whitworth and Volunteer Rifles the N-SSA Board of Directors authorized a "Demonstration Match". The demo consisted of two shooters loading and firing at will, at paper targets. One had a Whitworth, the other had a Volunteer. One of the two individuals was/is a very well known person in the N-SSA. This person had the Whitworth, and did everything possible to make this match appear to be unsafe, to include loading with a ball-headed range rod with both hands clasped over the ball of the rod to push the projectile down the barrel with his chin on top of his hands! When the Board witnessed this blatantly unsafe method of loading they declared on the spot that this match would never be adopted, and the "Free Military" class was dropped from the Rules. I was there when all of this transpired.

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

Cool Whitworth Match

How about a postal match ? That would leave the safety issues up to the individual. I think there would be a lot of interest. Regards. Tony

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by John Holland View Post
    Many years ago the N-SSA Rules had a provision for a class called "Free Military", which would have included these types of arms. When Parker-Hale introduced the Whitworth and Volunteer Rifles the N-SSA Board of Directors authorized a "Demonstration Match". The demo consisted of two shooters loading and firing at will, at paper targets. One had a Whitworth, the other had a Volunteer. One of the two individuals was/is a very well known person in the N-SSA. This person had the Whitworth, and did everything possible to make this match appear to be unsafe, to include loading with a ball-headed range rod with both hands clasped over the ball of the rod to push the projectile down the barrel with his chin on top of his hands! When the Board witnessed this blatantly unsafe method of loading they declared on the spot that this match would never be adopted, and the "Free Military" class was dropped from the Rules. I was there when all of this transpired.
    This should have been corrected INSTANTLY by the safety officer. My gosh how can the association let one idiot run a good idea off the rails???????

Team:
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Ditto what he said. Properly sized bullets in a Whitworth or a Volunteer rifle should slide down with just the weight of the ramrod itself.
    Glenn M. Kaye

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    You're all missing the point.....the individual who intentionally made the match appear to be unsafe did not want the potential of having one more match added to the Grand Agg. His actions were not by accident, but rather were intentional and calculated to have the demonstration match fail in the eyes of the Board.

Team:
    21st Virginia Infantry - Maryland Guard
    12085V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio

Whitworth Match?

Some in membership say the Nationals is too long, too crammed together, hurts participation, hurts recruitment and events need cut. Counter that with...... how about a Long Range Match? Yet another string in the last couple weeks that illustrates the tight rope the BOD has to walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by P.Altland; 02-07-2018 at 08:38 PM.
    Paul Altland
    21st Va. Md Guard Co. B

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    I dunno........the last five people I brought into the N-SSA in the last two years all loved the number of events. They felt they had a lot to choose from and knew they could shoot whatever matches that gave them happy feet. I'm thinking it's all the long time members who mainly don't care for the number of matches. Pretty much the ones I hear complaining. I mean WHY complain?? Just shoot whatever you want and ignore the rest. As for the asshat that messed up the Whitworth match.......may he lay on his death bed many many moons from now and relish in his one major accomplishment in life!
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Virginny & Texas
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    If you really want to play with long range, allow me to recommend the Long Range squad of the U.S. International Muzzle-Loading Team. Excellent shooters, great people. PM me if you have an interest, or stop by our booth at Nationals.

As for a long-range match at Nationals, the headache is that you need to set up the range specifically for that. Meaning you're shooting from the artillery firing line, or possibly even further back.

It might be possible, but the best option for making it work would be the "Artillery Wednesday" idea I've mentioned. Wednesday would be nothing but artillery - mortar first thing in the morning, artillery at mid-day, slot in long range in the afternoon. Leaves time Saturday AM for individual matches, making them a lot friendlier for young Skirmishers who have kids in school and limited vacation time.
    Support the USIMLT! Help your fellow Skirmishers go for the gold! www.usimlt.com