Thread: Help on nipple & nipple wrench thread size

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Help on nipple & nipple wrench thread size

I need help big time. Just got a new Pedersoli Parker Hale Whitworth from Dixie Gunworks. Went to clean after first shooting, and immediately ran into problems with nipple wrench size.

My old Dixie musket nipple wrench that used to work great for my Zouve, and Enfield rifles just didn't quite fit the Whitworth.

Too large, and ordered a "Traditions" nipple wrench from Amazon; too small. Dixie shows the nipple size for their PR1370 Parker Hale Whitworth rifle as 5/16 X 18.

I put a 5/16 open end wrench on the nipple, and it doesn't fit. I measured the nipple on the flats and get 6.87mm. I measured the thread diameter and got 5/16" and 7.94 mm.

Help!! I need to know what nipple size for this rifle so I can get nipples, and a flush kit. If anyone can help me out, I will be grateful.

Thanks,

Dave

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Hello, Dave:

Could have misunderstood, but your shared dim's appear to be for the THREADS in diameter and count.

The nipple removal requires a wrench that matches the FLATS on the nipple just below the cone. Many are nominally 1/4 inch.

Just try various English/metric open ended ones for fit. Watch for correct fit to prevent rounding the corners. Let us know what goes. Tx

Kevin Tinny

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    You could try various 1/4 drive sockets to find one to fit
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Team:
    1st Regiment Engineer Troops
    9813V
    Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina

Nipple wrench

I use the 1/4" drive side of a 1/4" extension about 3" long and a socket on the other end that fits a 3/8" ratchet. Being heat treated they work great

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

Cool Wrench Size

Hi Dave, I also have a Pedersoli Whitworth, bought it a few weeks ago. I have not shot it yet, Im waiting for warm weather. Anyway I measured across the flats of the original Pedersoli nipple that measurement is .265 which would be 17/64th if you have a set of ignition open end wrenches. I use a 7mm open end wrench for most musket nipples mine is about .010 large, anyway I tried that 7mm wrench on the nipple and it loosened right up. I will replace the factory nipple with a platinum one just for the heck of it I measured the new one and the measurement is .248 so i will be adding a 1/4 wrench to my bag. Good Luck with it and let use know how you feed it and how it shoots.
    Regards
    Tony
    (hey Dave I am making hex jags and other stuff for this rifle P.M me if you need anything for this rifle maybe we can do some trading)

Team:
    1st Michigan Infantry
    Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana
    Quote Originally Posted by tony 1st regt View Post
    I use the 1/4" drive side of a 1/4" extension about 3" long and a socket on the other end that fits a 3/8" ratchet. Being heat treated they work great
    I bought a 6” long, 1/4” drive extension, then heated it with a mapp gas torch to form a 90 degree angle at the female end. Makes a great nipple wrench with lots of leverage for the ones that are really stuck.
    Try it on the nipple before you bend it to make sure it clears. If not, you can drill the center to make some room before you heat it.
    If you want to get really elegant, buy a 1/4” drive x 1/4” 8 point socket for the male end.
    Bob Anderson
    Ordnance Sergeant
    Company C, 1st Michigan Volunteer Infantry
    Small Arms Committee

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
    - John Wayne in "The Shootist", 1976

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

Cool Pedersoli Whitworth Thread Size

Hi Dave, i did check the thread size on my Pedersoli Whitworth rifle this morning when I tried to install the new platinum 5/16-18 nipple that came with the rifle. It did not fit. 5/16-18 is NOT the proper thread size. I am sure the right size is m8X1.25 which is metric.
    Regards
    Tony

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Nipple issue solved

Well, I got to thinking. That took me to "Track of the Wolf" TOTW website. Ended up getting a flush nipple, and regular nipple, both in stainless, with 1/4" flats, and 5/16 X 1/8 threads.

In Dixie's description of the PR 1370 Parker Hale Whitworth Rifle, the nipple is described as 5/16 X 1/8; the flat size is not mentioned. So thus my visit to TOTW, and selecting the two nipples mentioned with 1/4" flats and the 5/16 X 1/8 thread size. It was a leap of faith that the Dixie description was correct on the thread size.

Both nipples thread in properly, and my 1/4" nipple wrench fits perfectly on the flats.

My original problem was with the stock nipple with flats that i measured to 6.87 mm, and 0.2705". I have no idea what this nipple is and the flats measurements are just weird.